Pickpockets Stole More Than £40,000 in London Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two men were sentenced to prison after pleading guilty to pickpocketing more than £40,000, or more than $56,000, from travelers in London airports.
The Romanian nationals Niculae Ion, 21, and Niculae Avram, 46, had pickpocketed flyers at London Luton Airport (LTN) and London Heathrow Airport (LHR).
The investigation into the duo began last year after a businessman reported his wallet with £3,000 in cash had been stolen. Authorities received other reports of theft in the airports, including credit cards being stolen and used for fraudulent purposes.
Two thefts occurred at Luton and another four at London Heathrow’s terminal four and five.
“These men are highly skilled pickpockets, with none of the victims having any idea where or when they had been targeted,” Police Constable Niall Hamshere said. “They had deliberately targeted transport hubs where their victims were vulnerable to their skills.”
The duo were arrested at London Luton Airport after returning to the UK from Romania on February 27. Both men had past convictions for similar crimes in Germany and other European countries.
Incidents like this serve as a reminder to always stay vigilant no matter where you are — including airports that feel safe with the loads of security present.
“We always urge vigilance against pickpockets, particularly in busy areas such as airports, and would ask anyone who thinks they are a victim of a similar offense to get in touch with us,” Hamshere said.
H/T: Luton Today
Featured image by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees