Escaped Cat Who Evaded JFK Authorities for Eight Days Finally Rescued
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An airport escapee has finally been caught after eluding authorities for more than a week. Pepper, a four year-old tabby cat, is now in custody and will hopefully soon be reunited with her owner in China.
It all started around 11:30am on Friday, April 20, when Pepper’s owner was checking her into a flight to Beijing, China (PEK) at New York’s JFK Terminal 4. But the carrier reportedly fell over and broke open, and Pepper scurried off, jumping up onto the check-in counter and then disappearing into the check-in counter structure.
The owner spent the rest of the day trying to track down Pepper, missing her original flight. However, the heartbroken owner had to eventually leave her cat behind and caught a flight the next day.
This is my friend’s cat Pepper (中文名:呆萌). She’s four years old and has microchip in her. Please inbox me or the airport officials if you ever see her. All leads are greatly appreciated! We miss her so much. Here’s a recent picture of her. pic.twitter.com/vT7eoUowRY
— ntp17 (@tn_nt17) April 21, 2018
Nuan Lang, a local friend of the owner, and JFK police officer Kameel Juman led the efforts over the following days to try to capture the cat. The Port Authority posted regular Twitter updates on its attempts, which included climbing on top of the check-in counter structure:
Humane traps were set to capture the escapee:
Hopes were high on Friday when a video of Pepper in the structures above the JFK Terminal 4 check-in desks showed that she was still alive and healthy.
Finally, on Saturday morning, the good news came that Pepper had been rescued:
We’re thrilled to hear that Pepper has been found and will be reunited with her owner soon. This story hits especially close for me — as digital nomads, my wife Katie and I have been traveling through Europe with our cat Grace for the last two months while sharing our tips about how to do so safely:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.