Escaped Cat Who Evaded JFK Authorities for Eight Days Finally Rescued
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An airport escapee has finally been caught after eluding authorities for more than a week. Pepper, a four year-old tabby cat, is now in custody and will hopefully soon be reunited with her owner in China.
It all started around 11:30am on Friday, April 20, when Pepper’s owner was checking her into a flight to Beijing, China (PEK) at New York’s JFK Terminal 4. But the carrier reportedly fell over and broke open, and Pepper scurried off, jumping up onto the check-in counter and then disappearing into the check-in counter structure.
The owner spent the rest of the day trying to track down Pepper, missing her original flight. However, the heartbroken owner had to eventually leave her cat behind and caught a flight the next day.
This is my friend’s cat Pepper (中文名:呆萌). She’s four years old and has microchip in her. Please inbox me or the airport officials if you ever see her. All leads are greatly appreciated! We miss her so much. Here’s a recent picture of her. pic.twitter.com/vT7eoUowRY
— ntp17 (@tn_nt17) April 21, 2018
Nuan Lang, a local friend of the owner, and JFK police officer Kameel Juman led the efforts over the following days to try to capture the cat. The Port Authority posted regular Twitter updates on its attempts, which included climbing on top of the check-in counter structure:
Humane traps were set to capture the escapee:
Hopes were high on Friday when a video of Pepper in the structures above the JFK Terminal 4 check-in desks showed that she was still alive and healthy.
Finally, on Saturday morning, the good news came that Pepper had been rescued:
We’re thrilled to hear that Pepper has been found and will be reunited with her owner soon. This story hits especially close for me — as digital nomads, my wife Katie and I have been traveling through Europe with our cat Grace for the last two months while sharing our tips about how to do so safely:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees