Paris Now Has Public ‘Open-Air’ Urinals, and Many Locals Aren’t Happy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On your next trip to Paris, in addition to seeing familiar sites like the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe, you might see a few giant, red flower pots being used as urinals.
If you’re grossed out by that, you’re not alone. Parisians are questioning city officials’ attempts to combat public urination with the installation of “open-air” urinals or “uritrottoirs” in and around the city’s historic neighborhoods.
In Paris officials’ latest efforts to alleviate the smells, damage, and public indecency that come along with public urination, the uritrottoirs are anything but subtle.
— KTLA 5 Morning News (@KTLAMorningNews) August 14, 2018
One uritrottoir that overlooks the Seine River near the Notre Dame Cathedral is causing the most controversy among residents, and they are planning a petition to have it removed.
“I think installing a urinal in the streets of Paris for those who don’t respect their surroundings is a good idea, but in my opinion, this model is not attractive at all, and where it’s been set up is not appropriate at all,” one resident told CNN.
Another Paris resident who owns an art gallery nearby one of the stations expressed his distaste to Reuters.
“We’re told we have to accept this, but this is absolutely unacceptable. It’s destroying the legacy of the island. Can’t people behave?” the man said.
On the other hand, city officials claim these eco-friendly toilets are for the better good of the city, especially in areas where public urination is a major issue. There are four currently in place, and a fifth one is in the works.
“The uritrottoir, an intelligent pissotiere, makes it possible to compost and grow flowers,” officials said in a statement, adding that a filtration system using straw will help limit unpleasant odors. “Straw and urine are then collected and composted, allowing the recovery of naturally occurring nitrogen and phosphate in large amounts in the urine. Ultimately, this device allows the urine to return to fertilize the plants.”
Despite the backlash from residents, public urination stations are nothing new and are quite common in several European cities. Pissoirs, or public urinals, in Paris have been around since the 1800s and only began to phase out around the 1960s. Amsterdam and Brussels have also had public urinals for years and have faced similar concerns from residents when the stations are located near historic sights, like the St. Catherine Church in Belgium.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees