American joins United in offering free changes ahead of full flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska, Delta, JetBlue and Southwest continue to block middle seats (or their equivalent) from sale, limiting the number of passengers on each and every flight. While the practice is aimed at helping customers feel more comfortable when it comes time to return to the sky, it can also become incredibly costly, with — in many cases — at least 33% of seats held back from sale.
While United Airlines isn’t withholding seats, earlier this month the carrier began notifying passengers booked on a flight where at least 70% of passengers have checked in, giving customers the opportunity to move to a different flight without paying a fare difference or change fee.
Now, American Airlines is implementing a similar program. As the carrier explains, “As more people get back to traveling ad loads are higher, American is deploying new tools to notify customers and allow them to move to more open flights when available, all without incurring any cost.”
A spokesperson confirmed the new flight change option, and explained how it’ll work. When passengers begin the check-in process online or via the airline’s app, they may see a special note, stating: “Your flight may be busier than you expected. If your trip is eligible, you will see the option to move to another flight at no charge when you check in.”
The carrier isn’t able to confirm what threshold might trigger a free flight change, but if the note does appear, customers will be able to select a flight with lower load factors on the same day, or the day before or after their original flight. American is also limiting the number of passengers booked on mainline and regional flights, but the airline isn’t able to confirm how many seats are being withheld.
American has already begun rolling out this flexible rebooking option, and plans to expand it to more flights soon. Additionally, the airline is waiving change fees for travel scheduled through Sept. 30, though a difference in fare may apply. Be sure to check out our complete guide to airline coronavirus change and cancellation policies for more.
Featured photo by Brendan Dorsey/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees