This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tourism in the Big Apple is alive and well, according to new numbers released by NYC & Company, the tourism and marketing company for the city. New York City welcomed 65.2 million visitors in 2018, an increase of 2.4 million since 2017, and the ninth straight year the number has risen. NYC & Company expects the number to hit 67 million in 2019.
The agency expects that increase in 2019 to be lead by events for the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising. The city is upping its normal Pride festivities in June this year by hosting WorldPride. Restaurant Week and Broadway Week will also draw large numbers of visitors to New York city in 2019.
Brits top New York’s foreign tourists list at 1.24 million, followed closely by visitors from China. Even with the current trade tensions between the US and China, Chinese tourists are still visiting the United States in large numbers. While they are visiting, they may be spending less money while they are here. The third quarter financial report from Tiffany & Company says they are seeing a decline in spending by Chinese tourists in New York.
The city saw 37.7 million nights sold in hotel rooms. Those stays generated around $622 million for the city in tax revenue, and hopefully some serious points for those staying. Tourists spend around $44 billion while in New York city each year.
NYC & Company also has a new corporate credit card sponsor. Mastercard is replacing American Express as the preferred payment method for NYC & Company. Fred Dixon, the CEO of NYC & Company says the new partnership is the largest corporate partnership the agency has ever had. Mastercard is planning to use the partnership to promote a wide range of offers for cardholders including early access to events for Restaurant Week and Broadway week.
Ready to plan your trip to the city that never sleeps? Check out these posts to help get you started:
- 6 Reasons to Love New York City, According to New Yorkers
- Affordable Activities for Families Visiting New York City
- Best Marriott Category 5 Hotels in New York City for Families
- Where to Find the Best Views In New York City
- 10 of the Most Instagrammable Places in New York City
Featured Photo by J. Scott Clark / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that