NYC Hosts a Record-Breaking 65 Million Tourists in 2018
Tourism in the Big Apple is alive and well, according to new numbers released by NYC & Company, the tourism and marketing company for the city. New York City welcomed 65.2 million visitors in 2018, an increase of 2.4 million since 2017, and the ninth straight year the number has risen. NYC & Company expects the number to hit 67 million in 2019.
The agency expects that increase in 2019 to be lead by events for the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising. The city is upping its normal Pride festivities in June this year by hosting WorldPride. Restaurant Week and Broadway Week will also draw large numbers of visitors to New York city in 2019.
Brits top New York’s foreign tourists list at 1.24 million, followed closely by visitors from China. Even with the current trade tensions between the US and China, Chinese tourists are still visiting the United States in large numbers. While they are visiting, they may be spending less money while they are here. The third quarter financial report from Tiffany & Company says they are seeing a decline in spending by Chinese tourists in New York.
The city saw 37.7 million nights sold in hotel rooms. Those stays generated around $622 million for the city in tax revenue, and hopefully some serious points for those staying. Tourists spend around $44 billion while in New York city each year.
NYC & Company also has a new corporate credit card sponsor. Mastercard is replacing American Express as the preferred payment method for NYC & Company. Fred Dixon, the CEO of NYC & Company says the new partnership is the largest corporate partnership the agency has ever had. Mastercard is planning to use the partnership to promote a wide range of offers for cardholders including early access to events for Restaurant Week and Broadway week.
Ready to plan your trip to the city that never sleeps? Check out these posts to help get you started:
- 6 Reasons to Love New York City, According to New Yorkers
- Affordable Activities for Families Visiting New York City
- Best Marriott Category 5 Hotels in New York City for Families
- Where to Find the Best Views In New York City
- 10 of the Most Instagrammable Places in New York City
Featured Photo by J. Scott Clark / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees