Norwegian Air gets a lifeline, secures $27 million in government aid amid coronavirus crisis
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Low-cost carrier Norwegian Air has secured the cash needed to save it during the coronavirus crisis — at least for the time being. The airline announced on Tuesday that it had fulfilled its first condition in getting a government-led rescue package, securing an initial cash infusion of 300 million Norwegian kroner (about $27 million).
Last week, the Norwegian government proposed a guarantee of six billion kroner for the country’s airline industry, of which Norwegian Air would get three billion kroner if it could meet a series of conditions.
After meeting its first condition to get commercial lenders to supply 10% of the first 300 million kroner, the government is providing the remaining 90%.
“Norwegian is pleased to announce that two Nordic banks have obtained credit committee approval to provide a guarantee for the required 10 percent for the first tranche of NOK 300 million,” the airline said in a statement. “Norwegian will secure the necessary headroom to pursue further guarantees from the Norwegian Government.”
Norway said last week that it would issue credit guarantees of up to three billion kroner in order to help the struggling airline survive the ongoing coronavirus crisis. In a series of drastic measures beginning on March 13, Norwegian announced that it was laying off approximately 90% of its workforce, while also slashing a number of its routes and grounding its aircraft.
According to a press release on Tuesday, the airline said that most of its fleet was currently grounded, as it’s reduced its operations to a minimum. It’s now operating primarily domestically in Norway and Sweden and between the Nordic capitals. Norwegian said that limited schedule would remain in place “until further notice.”
While it’s secured 300 million kroner now, the airline said that it will continue to seek additional guarantees from financial institutions in order to open up remaining tranches.
For now, Norwegian has secured funding that will keep it in business — at least for the short-term. It’s likely that as a result of the ongoing coronavirus crisis, more governments will have to step in to save struggling airlines.
The U.K. government announced last week that it would step in to provide funding to the airline industry, though it hasn’t detailed what those plans look like. Airlines in the U.S. have asked the government for at least $50 billion in aid, though nothing has been made official.
Featured photo by Simon Dawson/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees