You’ll soon be able to see the northern lights in a hot air balloon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What’s better than finally seeing the northern lights? Probably not much but, if we had to guess, we’d say seeing the northern lights from the sky.
Come December, that will be possible.
Off the Map Travel is launching what they’re calling “Aurora in the Sky” in Lapland, Sweden. The hot air balloon, anchored to arctic ice, will cruise up to 131 feet in the air. It will all be guided by a ballooning expert who will hunt to see the famous aurora.
You can travel in groups of up to six people, although they recommend that guests are at least 6 years old. Of course, the journey is also dependent on weather, so it’s a good idea to build some flexibility into your schedule in terms of timing and length of stay in the area.
Jonathan Cooper, founder of Off the Map Travel and Arctic travel expert, notes that “this is a first.” He says the company has “… never heard of anything like this before and everything is pointing to this being the region’s next big Aurora experience.”
Your itinerary can be custom-made to fit your needs — although you’ll likely have to pay a pretty penny. For instance, a four-day, three-night itinerary costs $2,999 per person. That includes meals, private transfers, accommodation at the Outpost Aurora Safari Camp, a snowmobile adventure with lunch on the Arctic Circle, the Aurora Hot Air Balloon experience and a snowmobile adventure to “meet the locals.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The hot air balloon flights launch in December 2020 and will be available until April 2021. The booking window opens in May. If you’re interested in seeing the northern lights via hot air balloon this year, you’ll want to contact the team at Off the Map Travel as soon as possible since space is limited.
See you in the air.
Featured image courtesy of Ingólfur Bjargmundsson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees