This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Trevor Davis, a wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers, was arrested at LAX for making “criminal threats” after he made a joke about carrying a bomb at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Sunday.
“Yesterday, Trevor Davis checked in at the Hawaiian Airlines ticket counter and was asked the usual questions about whether he was carrying any aerosol cans, knives, weapons or explosives,” Rob Pedregon, public information officer for LAX Police told ESPN. “Davis turned to his female companion and asked if she remembered to pack the explosives. He was then taken into custody and booked.”
Davis, 24, was taken into custody by airport police and charged with making criminal threats. He was later released on his own recognizance. The Packers told ESPN that the team was aware of the incident but declined to comment further on an ongoing legal issue.
The joke comes amid two other bomb hoaxes in recent days — one with a bag that was mistakenly labeled “Bomb to Brisbane,” an unfortunate abbreviation for Bombay, the arcane term for Mumbai, and another when a passenger on a Singapore flight made a false bomb threat that caused the plane to be escorted back to the airport by two F-15 fighter jets.
Davis is scheduled for a May 3 court appearance. The case is now being handled by the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department.
Featured image by Sandy Huffaker/Corbis via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards