This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger plane bound for Thailand was escorted by two Singaporean F-15SG fighter jets back to its airport of origin on Thursday after a passenger on board made a bomb threat that turned out to be a hoax.
Scoot Flight 634, a Singapore Airlines budget subsidiary, was on its way from Singapore Changi (SIN) to Hat Yai (HDY) in Thailand when the pilot declared a bomb threat on board. Police say the threat was made by a 41-year-old male passenger, and it later turned out to be a hoax. Singaporean police later arrested the man.
The Airbus A320 — registration 9V-TAN — turned around over the South China Sea and landed safely back at Changi (SIN) after being escorted by the two jets from Singapore’s Air Force. The aircraft was carrying six crew and 173 passengers, all of whom were rebooked on a flight later Thursday evening.
“For our RSAF pilots who are on stand-by duties 24/7, every threat is considered real until proven otherwise,” Ng Eng Hen, Singapore’s defense minister, said in a Facebook post. “They keep us and our skies safe. Well done, The Republic of Singapore Air Force.”
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees