Scoot Flight Escorted by Fighter Jets After Hoax Bomb Threat
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger plane bound for Thailand was escorted by two Singaporean F-15SG fighter jets back to its airport of origin on Thursday after a passenger on board made a bomb threat that turned out to be a hoax.
Scoot Flight 634, a Singapore Airlines budget subsidiary, was on its way from Singapore Changi (SIN) to Hat Yai (HDY) in Thailand when the pilot declared a bomb threat on board. Police say the threat was made by a 41-year-old male passenger, and it later turned out to be a hoax. Singaporean police later arrested the man.
The Airbus A320 — registration 9V-TAN — turned around over the South China Sea and landed safely back at Changi (SIN) after being escorted by the two jets from Singapore’s Air Force. The aircraft was carrying six crew and 173 passengers, all of whom were rebooked on a flight later Thursday evening.
“For our RSAF pilots who are on stand-by duties 24/7, every threat is considered real until proven otherwise,” Ng Eng Hen, Singapore’s defense minister, said in a Facebook post. “They keep us and our skies safe. Well done, The Republic of Singapore Air Force.”
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.