Scoot Flight Escorted by Fighter Jets After Hoax Bomb Threat
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger plane bound for Thailand was escorted by two Singaporean F-15SG fighter jets back to its airport of origin on Thursday after a passenger on board made a bomb threat that turned out to be a hoax.
Scoot Flight 634, a Singapore Airlines budget subsidiary, was on its way from Singapore Changi (SIN) to Hat Yai (HDY) in Thailand when the pilot declared a bomb threat on board. Police say the threat was made by a 41-year-old male passenger, and it later turned out to be a hoax. Singaporean police later arrested the man.
The Airbus A320 — registration 9V-TAN — turned around over the South China Sea and landed safely back at Changi (SIN) after being escorted by the two jets from Singapore’s Air Force. The aircraft was carrying six crew and 173 passengers, all of whom were rebooked on a flight later Thursday evening.
“For our RSAF pilots who are on stand-by duties 24/7, every threat is considered real until proven otherwise,” Ng Eng Hen, Singapore’s defense minister, said in a Facebook post. “They keep us and our skies safe. Well done, The Republic of Singapore Air Force.”
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.