Bag Marked ‘Bomb to Brisbane’ Disrupts Australia Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers at Brisbane International Airport (BNE) in Australia were shocked Wednesday morning when a bag labeled with “Bomb to Brisbane” came down the baggage carousel.
The suspicious piece of luggage was discovered by a woman who was waiting to collect her luggage after her flight from Singapore. At first, the woman said she was confused as to what it was as it not only said “Bomb to Brisbane” but also included someone’s name and the word “Mumbai” underneath it.
“I didn’t know what to make of it to be honest,” the passenger told Yahoo 7 News. “I thought it may have been a joke. But when I saw the police officers come over then I realised it was a bit more serious.”
— 7News Yahoo7 (@Y7News) April 4, 2018
The area was quickly shut down after authorities arrived, but passengers were left wondering how a piece of luggage with the word “bomb” on it successfully made it to its destination. After an investigation, the bag was found to belong to Venkata Lakshmi, 65, an Indian national who was going to Brisbane to visit her daughter’s family for a birthday celebration.
Devi Jothiraj, Lakshmi’s daughter, has lived in Australia for 10 years. She told Yahoo 7 News that her mother described the situation as “a mix-up.”
“My mother told me they thought something was in there, and people were panicking,” Jothiraj said. “They asked her to open the bag and asked her why it says bomb, and she said ‘It’s for Bombay. She began writing Bombay before realising she had no space to fit it all in, so she stopped at Bomb and wrote Bomb to Brisbane with Mumbai underneath.”
The airport code for Mumbai International Airport is BOM — the city was officially known as Bombay until 1995 when it was changed to its current name. Lakshmi was interviewed by Australian Federal Police but was released shortly after authorities realized it was a mistake. Lakshmi told her daughter that her bag did not raise any alarm when she checked it at Mumbai Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees