History and safety combine in epic new Qantas safety video
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I am a huge fan of airline safety videos, and truth be told, this one got me right in the feels. I even shed a tear as it reached its crescendo.
In celebration of its centenary year, Qantas has revealed a new inflight safety video, taking us through the years with painstaking attention to detail in recreating the aircraft, airports and uniforms of eras gone by since the 1920s. So although all the traditional elements of a safety video are there, it also serves as a beautifully produced history of the airline.
The video was 12 months in the making, and for the die-hard AvGeeks, there are some real treats in there, including:
- Wall panels from the 1970s taken from the upper deck of a retired 747-200 in the Mojave Desert;
- An original tea set from the 1940s;
- An original life jacket in the Rose Bay 1930s scene, one of only two remaining from this era;
- Original artwork and drawings from Indigenous design studio Balarinji, the 747 with the Wunala Dreaming livery was recreated using computer-generated imagery technology; and
- Authentic original uniforms, but watch out for the hair! More than 50 wigs and 30 moustaches were used to capture each era.
The music is particularly beautiful. James Morrison plays the saxophone, trumpet and trombone to instrumental versions of “I Still Call Australia Home,” the iconic Australian anthem used in Qantas adverts, tailored to the musical style of each era shown in the video.
You won’t have long to wait to watch the video on board. It will be loaded on international and domestic Qantas flights from March 1, 2020.
Perhaps use this as a prompt to jump on board the nonstop Qantas flight from London to Perth, which is bookable for 50,000 Avios in economy or 150,000 Avios in business class one-way plus taxes, subject to availability. Alternatively, throw a few more Avios at the problem and book yourself a number of Qantas flights along with with other Oneworld airline flights as part of an Avios multi-carrier award and maximise your flying distance — and your chances to watch this gorgeous video.
Featured photo courtesy of Qantas.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees