New Orleans Jazz Fest canceled again as COVID-19 cases rise due to delta variant
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has been canceled for the second consecutive year, thanks to an uptick in COVID-19 cases led by the delta variant.
Known as Jazz Fest for short, the festival usually occurs every spring, but last year it was waylaid by the onset of the global coronavirus outbreak.
Want more travel news and advice from TPG? Sign up for the free TPG daily newsletter.
This year, the event was scheduled for Oct. 8 – 17, with the Rolling Stones set as one of the most recently announced major acts, along with other big names like Lizzo, Stevie Nicks, Demi Lovato, the Foo Fighters, Ziggy Marley, Brandi Carlile, Norah Jones, the Beach Boys, Ludacris, the Wu-Tang Clan, Elvis Costello and more.
An announcement about the cancellation on the festival’s Twitter account says ticketholders, including those who rolled their tickets over from last year, will be contacted about refund options. (Those who purchased tickets for Oct. 13, when the Stones were slated to play, will automatically receive refunds.)
There will also be options for ticketholders to roll their admission over to next year’s Jazz Fest, which is on the calendar for April 29 – May 8, 2022.
“In the meantime, we urge everyone to follow the guidelines and protocols put forth by public health officials so that we can all soon experience together the joy that is Jazz Fest,” the festival’s official cancellation statement said.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 Data Tracker, Louisiana has seen more than 32,000 new cases in the past seven days, making it one of the top five states in terms of the highest number of recent positives, along with California, Florida, Texas and Georgia. Nearly 700,000 new cases have been recorded across the U.S. in the past week.
As hospitalization rates in Louisiana have climbed in recent weeks — with more than 2,700 people hospitalized at the time this article was published — Mayo Clinic reports that fewer than 45% of the state’s population has received at least one dose of the vaccine.
Featured photo courtesy of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees