Mark your calendar: New Orleans’ new terminal to open Nov. 6
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a long road for passengers based out of New Orleans’ Louis Armstrong International Airport (MSY). A new terminal — with a price tag of $1 billion — has been in the works since 2013 but delays clouded its future. Officials expected the terminal to welcome passengers back in May 2018 and then again in Spring 2019 but that didn’t happen due to various construction glitches.
However, on Friday, the City of New Orleans and the New Orleans Aviation Board shared that the terminal will finally open at 1 Terminal Drive, Kenner, Louisiana, on Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2019.
TPG’s Benet Wilson toured the new 35-gate terminal in September. At almost 1 million square feet, the terminal — designed by the late architect Cesar Pelli — will feature two new parking garages, a surface lot within walking distance and an economy garage with shuttle service. One 16-lane security area will feed three concourses and 35 gates that will be utilized by 16 airlines.
Passengers can also look forward to:
- free Wi-Fi
- a streamlined in-line baggage screening system
- three curbside check-in locations with access to the Short Term Garage
- a pet relief area post-security
- three parent rooms
- water bottle refilling stations post-security
- device chargers at 50% of the seats in gate areas
On the club lounge front, look for a Delta Sky Club, United Club and Priority Pass lounge.
On Nov. 6, flights from all the airport’s airlines will move from MSY’s current space to the new terminal. The old terminal will close to the public.
Passengers driving to the airport with plans to park should know the route has changed. Instead of taking Airline Drive, use Loyola Drive to get to the new access road. Follow signs to cross Veterans Memorial Boulevard and then follow the new access road. The airport is suggesting that passengers arrive at least two hours prior to their flights.
Featured image courtesy of the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees