The Netherlands drops predeparture testing ahead of Easter travel surge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Netherlands has dropped predeparture COVID-19 testing, making travel to the Land of Windmills easier for travelers regardless of their vaccination status.
The announcement was among a raft of changes to Holland’s COVID-19 restrictions starting Wednesday, March 23.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The requirement to test before entering a nightclub will also be scrapped.
However, the country still expects all travelers to take a self-test immediately upon arrival in the Netherlands, and another one five days after arriving in the country.
You must also complete a health declaration form.
Mask mandates for public transportation, as well as taxis, coaches and ferries, will also be lifted … but masks will still be required at airports and on flights.
This comes after Dutch flag carrier KLM said passengers no longer have to wear masks on flights, putting the company at odds with its own government.
“We find it disappointing that the use of face masks during boarding and during the entire flight is still being considered by the Dutch government, while this has been abandoned everywhere in the Netherlands,” a KLM spokesperson told TPG UK.
“The sector finds this approach inappropriate, given the phase the pandemic is in,” the airline added. “It is also at odds with European and international developments that we monitor closely.”
KLM said it’s seeing “an increase in [misunderstandings]” with passengers and “a growing number and also more serious incidents with ‘unruly’ passengers, which may negatively affect the safety of a flight.”
Featured image by George Clerk/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.