Do I Need Miles in My Account to Get an Award Price?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Reader Questions” are answered twice a week by TPG Associate Editor Brendan Dorsey.
Searching for award availability can be an arduous process and can include phone calls, countless searches and clicks on an airline’s website. TPG reader Jatin wants to know if he needs miles in his account to even get an award price…
I called Etihad to book a ticket using Etihad Guest miles. They can’t give me a price in miles until I transfer points from Amex. I don’t want to transfer until I know for sure they have seats available. Have any suggestions?TPG Reader Jatin
In most cases searching for award availability (and receiving a quoted price) doesn’t require miles in your account. However, you may run into the issue that Jatin did. And in his case, the Etihad agent likely didn’t know what he/she was talking about. In TPG Senior Contributor Richard Kerr’s piece on Etihad’s improved partner booking process, we learned that Etihad gained a new call center that makes booking partner awards on airlines like American and Royal Air Maroc a bit easier. As he says, if you are having trouble with an agent you should try the Hang Up and Call Again (HUCA) tactic.
HUCA is an important acronym in the points and miles community. There are many cases where you’ll find an airline agent that’s unaware of rules or procedures when booking award tickets, especially on partner airlines. This isn’t necessarily a reflection on the agent; redeeming miles can be a pretty convoluted process. That’s why there are plenty of sites like TPG that devote countless hours to provide suggestions on how to best book award tickets. If you know that a seat is open but are getting nowhere with an agent, your best bet may simply be to hang up and call back, hopefully receiving an agent that’s more in-tune with booking procedures.
That being said, there are a few select programs that require you to have miles in your account to search for award availability — Upgraded Points writes that you need a minimum of 7,000 miles to search for award availability through Lufthansa’s Miles & More program, and the carrier does release additional inventory to its own members. However, if you’re planning on redeeming miles through other Star Alliance programs, you’re better off searching on other sites.
Bear in mind too that many airlines don’t show all of their partner availability on their own website. For instance, if you want to use your American miles on Cathay Pacific, you’ll have to search through British Airways and then call into American to redeem your Advantage miles for that seat. This is also where a paid subscription service like ExpertFlyer can come into play, allowing you to search award inventory for nearly 90 airlines and even set alerts for when new seats open up.
If you’re searching for award tickets within a particular airline alliance, you’ll want to check out the guides below:
- Oneworld — The Best Websites for Searching Oneworld Alliance Availability
- Star Alliance — The Best Websites for Searching Star Alliance Award Availability
- SkyTeam — The Best Websites for Searching SkyTeam Award Availability
Featured image by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.