This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Reader Questions” are answered twice a week by TPG Associate Editor Brendan Dorsey.
Searching for award availability can be an arduous process and can include phone calls, countless searches and clicks on an airline’s website. TPG reader Jatin wants to know if he needs miles in his account to even get an award price…
I called Etihad to book a ticket using Etihad Guest miles. They can’t give me a price in miles until I transfer points from Amex. I don’t want to transfer until I know for sure they have seats available. Have any suggestions?TPG Reader Jatin
In most cases searching for award availability (and receiving a quoted price) doesn’t require miles in your account. However, you may run into the issue that Jatin did. And in his case, the Etihad agent likely didn’t know what he/she was talking about. In TPG Senior Contributor Richard Kerr’s piece on Etihad’s improved partner booking process, we learned that Etihad gained a new call center that makes booking partner awards on airlines like American and Royal Air Maroc a bit easier. As he says, if you are having trouble with an agent you should try the Hang Up and Call Again (HUCA) tactic.
HUCA is an important acronym in the points and miles community. There are many cases where you’ll find an airline agent that’s unaware of rules or procedures when booking award tickets, especially on partner airlines. This isn’t necessarily a reflection on the agent; redeeming miles can be a pretty convoluted process. That’s why there are plenty of sites like TPG that devote countless hours to provide suggestions on how to best book award tickets. If you know that a seat is open but are getting nowhere with an agent, your best bet may simply be to hang up and call back, hopefully receiving an agent that’s more in-tune with booking procedures.
That being said, there are a few select programs that require you to have miles in your account to search for award availability — Upgraded Points writes that you need a minimum of 7,000 miles to search for award availability through Lufthansa’s Miles & More program, and the carrier does release additional inventory to its own members. However, if you’re planning on redeeming miles through other Star Alliance programs, you’re better off searching on other sites.
Bear in mind too that many airlines don’t show all of their partner availability on their own website. For instance, if you want to use your American miles on Cathay Pacific, you’ll have to search through British Airways and then call into American to redeem your Advantage miles for that seat. This is also where a paid subscription service like ExpertFlyer can come into play, allowing you to search award inventory for nearly 90 airlines and even set alerts for when new seats open up.
If you’re searching for award tickets within a particular airline alliance, you’ll want to check out the guides below:
- Oneworld — The Best Websites for Searching Oneworld Alliance Availability
- Star Alliance — The Best Websites for Searching Star Alliance Award Availability
- SkyTeam — The Best Websites for Searching SkyTeam Award Availability
Featured image by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees