Great Smoky Mountains National Park — and others — close amid coronavirus shutdown
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just yesterday, The Points Guy reported that the National Park Service would waive park fees at its parks that remained open. But, today, in response to conditions on the ground, some popular national parks, like Great Smoky Mountains National Park, are closing to the public. This is not a nationwide closure of all National Parks at the same time, but some parks are now closed, while others are attempting to operate on a partial closure basis.
All areas of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, excluding the Foothills Parkway and the Spur, will close today at noon through 4/6/20 to help slow the spread of COVID-19. This includes trails and road closures. Details are provided at https://t.co/vkYD7roKVr pic.twitter.com/glNivYuReS
— GreatSmokyNPS (@GreatSmokyNPS) March 24, 2020
At this time, officials from the Centers for Disease Control recommend social distancing and that means it’s a bad idea to travel anywhere non-essential. Visiting a nearby national park that was within an easy driving distance seemed like a good idea — but if everyone descends on the parks at the same time, it makes it difficult to maintain social distance in the most popular spaces and trails.
Here’s what to expect as of today at 10 of the nation’s most popular national parks:
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: closed
- Grand Canyon National Park: Visitors centers, museums and other buildings are closed but most outdoor spaces are open. Park Ranger programs are canceled.
- Rocky Mountain National Park: closed
- Zion National Park: Angels Landing chains section is closed but the West Rim Trail remains open. On March 25, all park campgrounds will close.
- Yellowstone National Park: Albright Visitor Center and Boiling River swimming/soaking area is closed. The North Entrance road at Gardiner, Montana, through the park to Cooke City, Montana, remains open.
- Yosemite National Park: closed
- Acadia National Park: All in-person visitor services are closed. Some public spaces open.
- Grand Teton National Park: outdoor areas are open
- Olympic National Park: All park visitor centers and campgrounds, as well as most park entrance roads, are closed. Services are limited. All park lodges, shops, and restaurants are closed.
- Glacier National Park: The Apgar Visitor Center and Bookstore are closed but public spaces are still open.
If you live very close to other national parks, don’t make the drive before checking to see if it’s open. You’ll find closure across the lower 48 and even as further afield as Hawaii. And of course, this list is subject to change at anytime. If you do visit an open national park, practice safe social distancing by staying at least six feet away from other visitors.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees