Millennials Willing to Give up Coffee, Carbs and Sex to Travel the World for Free
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Millennials are quick to get a bad rap, but the truth is they are likely to share one important quality with TPGers: a serious love for travel. This generation has single-handedly put solo travel on the map and fostered a wave of entrepreneurs who have turned their lust for seeing the world into successful careers as digital nomads.
And now, thanks to a recent study from Contiki — a travel company that specializes in adventures for said generation — we know just how important packing up and seeing the world is to this group of sightseeing-hungry spirits. And the results may (or may not) surprise you.
When Contiki asked 1,500 American travelers 18 to 36 years old what they would be “willing to give up for around six months if that meant you could travel the world for free,” 80% of those surveyed said the number one thing they’d relinquish is Netflix. (With so many quality IFE options these days, that’s not entirely surprising.)
In terms of all things edible, 77% said they could go without coffee, while 73% said they could forgo alcohol and 60% could do away with carbs. Here’s hoping their travel itineraries do not include a visit to coffee capitals such as Melbourne, the renowned wine regions of France or really anywhere in Italy.
The thing Millennials would have the hardest time parting with? Their phones. Of those surveyed, 57% said they would gladly abstain from sex for free travel, while only 41% would agree to power down their mobile devices in exchange for adventure. After all, as the kids say: Pics or it didn’t happen.
For those who can’t find someone to fund their trip around the world but still feel the call of the wild, here are a few starter posts for using points and miles to get you everywhere you want to go:
- The Beginner’s Guide to Points and Miles: Essential Travel Tips
- Airline, Hotel and Car Rental Loyalty Programs
- The Best Travel Rewards Credit Cards
H/T: Travel + Leisure
Feature photo by Kay Nietfeld/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees