Marriott donates $10 million in free hotel stays to healthcare professionals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott is dedicating some $10 million worth of free hotel rooms to healthcare professionals serving areas most impacted by coronavirus cases. The new initiative, called Rooms for Responders, will launch in hard-hit cities such as New York City, New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Washington, D.C. and Newark.
Rooms for Responders was largely initiated by Marriott’s Bonvoy loyalty team in partnership with American Express and JPMorgan Chase. The team worked with the American College of Emergency Physicians and the Emergency Nurses Association to make sure thousands of emergency doctors and nurses have free accommodations in participating hotels near their hospitals.
Marriott separately teamed up with a number of local franchisees to launch the Community Caregiver Program, which is available in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean and Latin America. The Community Caregiver Program offers significantly discounted rates for first responders and healthcare professionals who want to stay near the hospitals where they are working. The rate is available on Marriott.com at nearly 2,500 hotels.
“With both initiatives, our goal is simple: We want to support the frontline heroes who are selflessly supporting us,” Marriott announced in an email that went out to Bonvoy members Wednesday afternoon.
The email also listed a number of favorable policy changes for Bonvoy members, including a generous cancellation or change policy for all reservations, including restrictive pre-paid bookings.
And for Marriott Bonvoy elites, there’s cause for celebration: The hotel chain extended elite status membership through February 2022, and has paused points expiration through February 2021.
Feeling charitable? Bonvoy members can use Marriott Bonvoy’s Giving Platform to donate their Marriott Bonvoy points to relief organizations that are active in COVID-19 responses around the world. These organizations include the American Red Cross, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, UNICEF and World Central Kitchen, amongst others.
Other hotels have also stepped up with similar programs. Hilton and American Express are donating another million hotel room nights across the U.S.
Doctors, nurses, EMTs, paramedics and other frontline medical staff who need a place to sleep, recharge or isolate from their families through the end of May will get free hotel rooms.
Featured photo courtesy of the St. Regis Bahia Resort.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees