Marriott adjusts cancellation policy, pauses Bonvoy point expiration over coronavirus outbreak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated to clarify that cancellations must be made at least 24 hours prior to arrival to qualify for a refund.
Marriott Bonvoy has joined Hilton and other hotel companies in offering increased flexibility to those considering canceling travel plans due to the worldwide outbreak of the novel coronavirus.
Arne Sorenson, President and CEO of Marriott International, sent an email to all Marriott Bonvoy members on March 13 that details the changes to the company’s cancellation policies and the Marriott Bonvoy program.
Marriott will now allow all existing prepaid reservations to be canceled without penalty through April 30, 2020. Changes must be made at least 24 hours prior to the guest’s scheduled arrival, but all existing reservations — regardless of the date — can be canceled for free through the end of next month.
Additionally, all new reservations made between March 13 and April 30, 2020, can be changed or canceled for free at least 24 hours prior to the guest’s scheduled arrival date. According to the email, this applies to all Marriott stays regardless of location.
Marriott pauses points expiration and extends validity of certificates
Further, the email also notes that Marriott has paused Marriott Bonvoy point expiration until August 31, 2020 for all members. So if you have points that are set to expire between now and the end of August, you can rest assured that they will be valid until at least the end of August.
Marriott Bonvoy members with Suite Night Awards (SNAs) expiring on Dec. 31, 2020 will have their certificates extended until Dec. 31, 2021. These certificates are earned when a member reaches Marrriott Bonvoy Platinum elite status, with more certificates being awarded upon hitting other stay milestones.
Related: What is Marriott elite status worth?
Finally, members with Free Night Award certificates earned through Marriott credit cards, as an annual Choice Benefit, or through another promotion will be able to redeem certificates through Jan. 31, 2021 if the certificate is set to expire in 2020.
Marriott Bonvoy elite status expiration will not be extended at this time, but the company will continue to assess this as the coronavirus outbreak evolves.
All in all, this is great news from Marriott Bonvoy. With all the uncertainty related to the coronavirus and its continuing spread, it’s nice to see hotel companies and airlines offer increased flexibility for guests.
Featured photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees