See what your stay will really cost: Marriott adds ‘all in’ pricing button
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For several years now, one of the biggest complaints about the hotel industry has been the steady expansion of resort and destination fees, which can add anywhere from $20 to $50+ to your nightly rate. Taxes and fees aren’t always well disclosed, especially when booking through a third-party travel agency, leading many travelers to be confused about the total rate they actually owe for their stay.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Marriott adds ‘all in’ pricing button
While most travel news in recent weeks has centered on coronavirus-related shutdowns and cancellations, Marriott has quietly rolled out a huge improvement to its online search engine. Now when you search for cash rates at a hotel, you’ll see a button you can click to display rates inclusive of all taxes and fees — including resort and destination fees.
Looking at the W South Beach as an example, we can see that the total “all in” cost is nearly $100 per night more than just the base room rate, as you have to add regular taxes and fees plus the $40 daily resort fee, which itself is subject to additional taxes.
You can also see this new feature reflected in the URL for hotel searches on Marriott.com (emphasis mine):
Meanwhile, if you changed the end of the URL to “showFullPrice=true,” that would enable the all-in pricing display.
Not only is the button available once you click into a specific hotel, but you’ll also see it on the general search page. Once you check it, a note will appear below the hotel price showing you that taxes and fees are included in the rate you see.
You’ll see the biggest discrepancy in prices at hotels like the W South Beach that charge large resort fees, but every hotel charges some kind of tax on top of the base room rate, so it’s worth using this all-in pricing feature any time you’re searching for a hotel. As of now the Marriott website defaults to just showing you the base room rate, so you’ll have to remember to manually check the box each time you search to see the total price.
The same feature is available on the Marriott Bonvoy mobile app — if you select “Filters” you’ll see a button that allows you to display rates with all taxes and fees.
I consider this to be a hugely positive development for Marriott customers, who now have the ability to easily see the total cost for a hotel night inclusive of all taxes and fees. While this doesn’t address the concern over the rapid proliferation of resort fees (including at non-resort properties that don’t offer any unique amenities), it will help eliminate confusion about what the true cost of the stay is.
Featured photo by Ethan Steinberg/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees