Marriott Adds 5 Million Bonvoy Members in First 3 Months of 2019
Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest had a combined 110 million members before the programs were integrated in the second half of 2018. Now, the new Marriott Bonvoy program counts 130,000,000 among its ranks, as it grows alongside competitor programs, such as Hilton Honors, which added 14 million new members in 2018.
“We continue to build our company for the future,” Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson stated in a press release. “In the first quarter, we opened our 7,000th property, the 27-story St. Regis Hong Kong. Year-over-year gross room openings accelerated to nearly 19,000 rooms, a first quarter record. Our development pipeline totaled approximately 475,000 rooms at quarter-end, nearly 3 percent higher than a year ago. Marriott Bonvoy membership rose by 5 million to reach nearly 130 million members.”
Sorenson also highlights that the company “opened” nearly 19,000 rooms, but you’ll need to dig a bit to see any mention of hotels that have left the chain following the merger, such as the W Beijing Chang’an and a handful of others. The addition Sorenson does call out, the St. Regis Hong Kong, is truly spectacular, though.
In total, Marriott added 114 new hotels around the world, with a total of 18,842 rooms, all in the first quarter of 2019 — that more than makes up for the 15 properties (2,693 rooms) that have left the chain. Over 40% of the these room additions were in international markets, despite the fact that just a third of the chain’s worldwide inventory of rooms are outside of North America. Marriott also hit a notable milestone, with a total of 7,003 active hotels and timeshare resorts by the end of the quarter, for a grand total of 1,333,000 rooms.
We can expect the chain to continue to grow over the next few years, as Marriott works to develop 2,853 new properties, which — when complete — will add another 475,000 rooms. By the end of 2019, the company expects to boost available rooms by roughly 5.5%, while properties leaving the portfolio could account for a 1% to 1.5% drop in inventory.
It’s also worth noting year-over-year occupancy rate changes, as properties in North America saw a 0.8% drop in occupancy in Q1 compared to the first quarter of 2018, while international locations saw a 1.1% increase. This translated to an overall drop of 0.3% across the worldwide portfolio.
For comparison’s sake, Marriott’s closest competitor (Hilton) currently has a total of just over 923,000 rooms across its worldwide portfolio, roughly 70% the size of Marriott. Hilton added 12,100 rooms in the first quarter of 2019 and currently has 371,000 rooms in its development pipeline as of March 31, 2019, both of which are roughly equivalent to the rate at which Marriott is adding room inventory. However, Hilton did see its systemwide occupancy rates increase by 0.5% in Q1 compared to the same time period last year.
For more on Marriott Bonvoy, see:
- The Award Traveler’s Guide to Marriott Bonvoy
- What Is Marriott Bonvoy Elite Status Worth in 2019?
- Which Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card Is Right for You?
Featured photo of the St. Regis Hong Kong by Zach Honig.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees