Manhattan Is Closing 7 Miles of Streets This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Next month, one of the best places to play in New York City might be, well, the middle of the road.
For three Saturdays in August, nearly seven miles of streets (including a long length of Park Avenue) in Manhattan will be totally car-free, as part of the annual Summer Streets celebration. Between 7am and 1pm on Aug. 3, 10 and 17, a stretch from the Brooklyn Bridge to 72nd Street, by Central Park, will open only to pedestrians and cyclists.
Instead of bumper-to-bumper traffic and the blare of taxi horns, New Yorkers are invited to play, run, walk and bike down the normally congested route. There will also be a collection of free events along the Summer Streets event path, including a variety of fun activities and diversions (think: doggie pools for hot pups; free rental bikes, live musical performances; and even free food and drink samples).
Five rest stops can be found along the route, where people can engage in the complimentary activities, or simply unwind and meet new people. On the first Saturday, for example, a yoga instructor is attempting to break the Guinness World Records title of most people executing a handstand (the current record is 399 people). And at the Uptown Performance Stage, there will be different musical, theatrical and dance performances every Saturday during the Summer Streets event.
Whether you decide to make a day out of it or just want an unexpected place to get in your morning run, you won’t be the only New Yorker taking advantage of this carless stretch. Last year, 300,000 people partook in the activities, according to the New York City Department of Transportation. So, OK — there will still be a lot of traffic. It will just be healthier and more sustainable.
If you haven’t booked a hot flight deal out of town this summer, consider heading to Manhattan and checking out the scene instead.
Featured image courtesy of LightRocket/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees