Manhattan Is Closing 7 Miles of Streets This Summer
Next month, one of the best places to play in New York City might be, well, the middle of the road.
For three Saturdays in August, nearly seven miles of streets (including a long length of Park Avenue) in Manhattan will be totally car-free, as part of the annual Summer Streets celebration. Between 7am and 1pm on Aug. 3, 10 and 17, a stretch from the Brooklyn Bridge to 72nd Street, by Central Park, will open only to pedestrians and cyclists.
Instead of bumper-to-bumper traffic and the blare of taxi horns, New Yorkers are invited to play, run, walk and bike down the normally congested route. There will also be a collection of free events along the Summer Streets event path, including a variety of fun activities and diversions (think: doggie pools for hot pups; free rental bikes, live musical performances; and even free food and drink samples).
Five rest stops can be found along the route, where people can engage in the complimentary activities, or simply unwind and meet new people. On the first Saturday, for example, a yoga instructor is attempting to break the Guinness World Records title of most people executing a handstand (the current record is 399 people). And at the Uptown Performance Stage, there will be different musical, theatrical and dance performances every Saturday during the Summer Streets event.
Whether you decide to make a day out of it or just want an unexpected place to get in your morning run, you won’t be the only New Yorker taking advantage of this carless stretch. Last year, 300,000 people partook in the activities, according to the New York City Department of Transportation. So, OK — there will still be a lot of traffic. It will just be healthier and more sustainable.
If you haven’t booked a hot flight deal out of town this summer, consider heading to Manhattan and checking out the scene instead.
Featured image courtesy of LightRocket/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.