A 14-year-old AvGeek-in-training gets the aviation experience of a lifetime
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When it comes to traveling with kids, our motto here at TPG is “start ’em young.” When it comes to building a love for aviation, 14-year-old Kael Wilson puts even the most experienced AvGeek to shame.
Wilson, who has a severe blood disorder, recently got to fulfill his wish of getting a jump start on his future career as a pilot by visiting FlightSafety International in Columbus, OH, and training in its best-in-class $20M flight simulator — all thanks to the organization Make-A-Wish.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Wilson is “obsessed with flying,” according to the organization. And that’s no surprise considering his family history: Wilson is a fourth-generation AvGeek who got hooked “from traveling a lot and my dad,” he said. Wilson’s great-grandpa and grandpa were both pilots, the latter serving as an instructor and pilot for the regional airline Republic Airways.
Wilson’s father, Chris, has been flying since 1999. For the past 16 years, he’s been a pilot for Delta based out of Detroit, flying a Boeing 717.
Wilson wants to keep his family’s legacy alive by becoming a pilot as well.
That’s where Make-A-Wish came in. When Wilson asked for a gaming computer and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 so he could start training for his pilot’s license, Make-A-Wish not only granted the wish but took things one step further by giving Wilson the chance to go to FlightSafety International and experience a state-of-the-art simulator first-hand.
Wilson said the best part of the trip was flying the new Longitude (a business jet produced by Cessna) and getting to fly with his dad and grandpa. “It sounded like you were in a real plane,” said Wilson, who flew the aircraft from San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL).
“He did pretty well for his first time ever flying a jet,” noted his father.
Wilson’s favorite places to visit thus far in his young career as a world traveler are China and San Francisco. His most memorable flight to date, he said, was flying from Hong Kong to NYC in business class on one of United‘s Boeing 777s.
When asked what Wilson loves most about flying his answer was simple.
“All of it,” he said. “To see the landscape when you look out the window, how everything is so small when you’re up in the air, discovering the cities and tall buildings.”
We couldn’t agree more.
Despite the ongoing pandemic, life-changing wishes like Wilson’s continue to be granted on a daily basis all around the country, according to Make-A-Wish. The organization has granted more than 6,500 wishes since March 2020. Learn more about Make-A-Wish by visiting wish.org.
All images courtesy of Make-A-Wish.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees