M life Cuts Discounts, Raises Resort Fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bad news for MGM loyalists: M life has (quietly) killed one of its best perks for elite members. As of July 15, all M life members, regardless of elite tier, will receive a discount of just 10%, far below the previous cap of 30% for top-tier elites. For now, this devaluation is limited to Las Vegas area resorts, but MGM’s website notes that the rate drop “will be available at regional M life Rewards destinations in the future.”
Tests confirm this, with searches in Las Vegas (as a Gold M life member) returning a flat 10% discount:
In contrast, searching for rooms at the MGM National Harbor shows a 20% discount:
And the MGM Grand Detroit with a 15%: discount:
So if you’re looking to stay at MGM in the near future, book your rooms now before they slash your discount.
In another blow to customers, MGM has also revealed that they’re increasing resort fees to a staggering $45 per night at four more of their hotels: MGM, Aria, Vdara and Bellagio, matching the resort fees already charged at the Wynn, Venetian and Palazzo. With tax, the nightly total rings in at over $50, which is more than the actual room rate in some instances.
Unlike Caesars, which waives resort fees for those with Diamond status and above, M life offers no such perk, not even for its highest tier members. Despite Caesars’ recent acquisition by El Dorado resorts, its award program remains steady, making Diamond status, which is incredibly easy to get, even more compelling.
This news comes as a blow for M life loyalists (and Hyatt elites, who receive reciprocal status at MGM hotels). While I can understand making these changes to help out their bottom line, referring to this devaluation as a ‘standardization’ is ridiculous — and to be frank — a little shameful. Thanks, MGM.
H/T: View From The Wing
Feature photo courtesy of MGM
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees