Lufthansa sets date for move to Berlin’s long-delayed new airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa will move to Berlin’s much maligned Brandenburg International Airport in November, as the long-delayed airfield prepares to finally open its doors nearly a decade late.
The Star Alliance carrier will begin operating flights to and from Brandenburg (BER) on Nov. 8, Lufthansa said Wednesday. The first departure is scheduled as flight LH173, the 6:30am departure to Frankfurt (FRA).
Lufthansa‘s budget arm Eurowings will move to Brandenburg four days earlier on Nov. 4. The carrier’s group peers Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines and Swiss International Air Lines will join Lufthansa in commencing operations at the airport on Nov. 8.
The move to Brandenburg from Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL), located northwest of the city center, will take Lufthansa a week with ground equipment due to begin the relocation on Oct. 31.
The opening of Brandenburg airport has been a long time coming. Originally scheduled to open in 2011, a June 2012 date was missed due to issues with the airport’s fire safety and smoke exhaust systems that subsequently took years to rectify. The Oct. 31, 2020, opening date was set last November.
The new airport is built south of the existing Berlin Schönefeld Airport (SXF) on the southwest side of Berlin. It is connected to the city via new rail links, including an Airport Express train to Berlin Hauptbahhof and the Berlin regional rail S Bahn network.
Lufthansa’s move to Brandenburg includes a new lounge for business-class travelers and elite frequent flyers. At more than 17,200 square feet, the “Lufthansa Lounge” will feature separate Senator and Business areas and will offer travelers views of the apron and Berlin skyline, according to the airline.
Lufthansa is the second-largest single carrier at Berlin Tegel. In June, the airline will operate up to 36 daily departures to Frankfurt (FRA) and Munich (MUC) from Tegel, according to Cirium schedules. The number of departures jumps to up to 117 a day when Austrian, Brussels, Eurowings and Swiss flights are included.
EasyJet is the largest carrier at Tegel with up to 90 daily departures in June, Cirium shows.
Tegel, with all of its 1970s-infused glory, is due to close shortly after Brandenburg opens. Coming even after Berliners voted to keep the field open in a non-binding referendum, the airport is due to become new office and residential space. But architectural buffs need not fret; parts of the airport’s iconic 1974 hexagon-shaped terminal are to be converted to new uses under the plan.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Ned Russell (@airbus777) on
Featured image by Patrick Pleul/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees