Berlin Brandenburg Airport set to open in October 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After sitting empty for nine years, Willy Brandt Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) will finally open on Oct. 31, 2020, said Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg CEO Engelbert Lütke Daldrup at a press conference held at Tegel Airport on Nov. 29. Construction started on the facility, located near the existing Schonefeld Airport, in 2006 after a decade and a half of planning.
The airport was built in anticipation of two events: An expected growth in future passenger traffic and creating a new Air Berlin hub in Germany’s capital. It was needed to replace Berlin’s three aging airports: Schonefeld, Tegel and the now-closed Tempelhof. The original plan had BER opening in October 2011. But a mere four weeks before a new opening date of June 2012, it was delayed after safety inspectors took issue with the airport’s fire safety and smoke exhaust systems. The next opening date was October 2013.
After a management shuffle, a failed bid for additional airport construction and the bankruptcy of one of its existing construction partners in 2014 and 2015, an unspecified opening date was moved to 2017. During the same year, Air Berlin declared bankruptcy, then shut down on Oct. 31, 2017, after 39 years in service, leaving BER without a hub airline. Another opening delay was caused by more problems with the safety of the airport’s fire detection systems.
The 2017 opening date came and went after the airport didn’t get certification for its new underground station and the firing of its spokesperson after an interview where he said the project was stymied by fraud, corruption, and millions of euros wasted.
BER had been under construction for 11 years, blown through six opening dates, three general managers and two state leaders, with costs ballooning from around €1 billion to at least €5.4 billion, according to the “How To F#€k Up An Airport” podcast. BER’s Daldrup said that the move to the new airport will be done in phases, reports the The Associated Press. Flights to Tegel are on track to end on Nov. 8, 2020. Airlines will continue to fly in and out of Schoenefeld. “We still have 11 months of hard work in front of us,” he said. The airport’s systems will be tested for six months before BER is finally opened, he added.
Featured photo courtesy of the city of Berlin
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees