Lufthansa Is Now Europe’s Largest Airline
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
2018 was a good year for Lufthansa. While not everyone was happy with the change to the iconic crane livery early in the year, it clearly didn’t keep people from flying with the German flag carrier. The latest numbers released by the airline show that revenue passenger kilometers (RPKs) saw steady growth during 2018. That growth brought a new title to the carrier to start 2019: Europe’s largest airline.
Lufthansa’s growth outpaced its main rival Air France-KLM about three times over, posting gains of around 9% for the year. Pushing a lot of that growth for the company was Eurowings, the discount-carrier arm of Lufthansa group, which posted growth numbers nearly hitting the 25% mark in 2018. This helped Lufthansa take the title of largest European airline some 14 years after the Air France and KLM merger. However, according to Bloomberg, Lufthansa’s lead is slight: It’s just 0.2% than Air France-KLM based on traffic.
In 2018, Lufthansa set new records for total passengers carried — 142 million — as well as having the highest seat load factor than ever before, at 81.4%. The airline is also experiencing very high demand from passengers for its first-class cabin, leading to higher revenue.
The iconic yellow and blue livery might have been lost last year, but from the numbers it clear passengers still enjoy flying with Lufthansa, no matter what paint job is on the plane.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Featured Photo by Lufthansa Group / Photographer: Oliver Rosesler Oro Photography
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees