This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
2018 was a good year for Lufthansa. While not everyone was happy with the change to the iconic crane livery early in the year, it clearly didn’t keep people from flying with the German flag carrier. The latest numbers released by the airline show that revenue passenger kilometers (RPKs) saw steady growth during 2018. That growth brought a new title to the carrier to start 2019: Europe’s largest airline.
Lufthansa’s growth outpaced its main rival Air France-KLM about three times over, posting gains of around 9% for the year. Pushing a lot of that growth for the company was Eurowings, the discount-carrier arm of Lufthansa group, which posted growth numbers nearly hitting the 25% mark in 2018. This helped Lufthansa take the title of largest European airline some 14 years after the Air France and KLM merger. However, according to Bloomberg, Lufthansa’s lead is slight: It’s just 0.2% than Air France-KLM based on traffic.
In 2018, Lufthansa set new records for total passengers carried — 142 million — as well as having the highest seat load factor than ever before, at 81.4%. The airline is also experiencing very high demand from passengers for its first-class cabin, leading to higher revenue.
The iconic yellow and blue livery might have been lost last year, but from the numbers it clear passengers still enjoy flying with Lufthansa, no matter what paint job is on the plane.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Featured Photo by Lufthansa Group / Photographer: Oliver Rosesler Oro Photography
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees