Lufthansa Is Now Europe’s Largest Airline
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
2018 was a good year for Lufthansa. While not everyone was happy with the change to the iconic crane livery early in the year, it clearly didn’t keep people from flying with the German flag carrier. The latest numbers released by the airline show that revenue passenger kilometers (RPKs) saw steady growth during 2018. That growth brought a new title to the carrier to start 2019: Europe’s largest airline.
Lufthansa’s growth outpaced its main rival Air France-KLM about three times over, posting gains of around 9% for the year. Pushing a lot of that growth for the company was Eurowings, the discount-carrier arm of Lufthansa group, which posted growth numbers nearly hitting the 25% mark in 2018. This helped Lufthansa take the title of largest European airline some 14 years after the Air France and KLM merger. However, according to Bloomberg, Lufthansa’s lead is slight: It’s just 0.2% than Air France-KLM based on traffic.
In 2018, Lufthansa set new records for total passengers carried — 142 million — as well as having the highest seat load factor than ever before, at 81.4%. The airline is also experiencing very high demand from passengers for its first-class cabin, leading to higher revenue.
The iconic yellow and blue livery might have been lost last year, but from the numbers it clear passengers still enjoy flying with Lufthansa, no matter what paint job is on the plane.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Featured Photo by Lufthansa Group / Photographer: Oliver Rosesler Oro Photography
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.