Lufthansa Bringing Basic Economy Fares to US Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another one bites the dust. Lufthansa, Europe’s biggest airline, is jumping on the basic economy bandwagon. The German carrier will be introducing “Economy Light” fares this summer on select routes.
According to a press release, the airline will start selling basic economy fares on North American routes served by Lufthansa, SWISS, Brussels Airlines and Austrian Airlines. The three latter carriers are all subsidiaries of the Lufthansa Group.
Economy Light fares will work similarly to other basic economy tickets. All that will be included in the fare is a carryon bag. You’ll have to pay extra if you want to check a bag or select a seat. Tickets won’t be changeable either.
Economy Light fares don’t appear to be available for purchase yet, and Lufthansa did not say when they would be launching other than in “summer 2018.” Checked bag or seat selection prices weren’t shared, but judging off other carriers with basic economy fares, you’ll be pay around $100 more to get what used to be included in a regular economy ticket.
Fortunately once onboard, passengers will still enjoy the same soft product as regular economy customers —meaning complimentary food and drinks will still be included.
The move appears to be a way to directly compete with the rise of low-cost carriers, like Norwegian and WOW, and other mainline carriers. Delta started charging for bags on its transatlantic basic economy fares in December, and British Airways and American Airlines introduced their own basic economy fares on transatlantic routes in March. The only large American carrier to still not offer basic economy on flights to Europe is United, although considering that United and Lufthansa are in a joint venture, it’s likely just a matter of time before United joins the fray.
Lufthansa launched Light fares on select European routes in 2015 and started testing Light fares between Scandanvia and North America last year.
Featured image by CHIARA PUZZO/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees