London Is Getting Its First Elevated Park This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the High Line in New York prepares to debut its last phase, London will get the first stretch of its own elevated park — designed by the one of the architecture firms that worked on the High Line, no less. Dubbed the Tide, the public park will run for three miles along the Thames on Greenwich Peninsula — a formerly industrial area — with nearly 30-foot-high walkways surrounded by native trees. The first half-mile stretch will open in July.
Much like the High Line and other elevated parks around the world, the Tide is intended to be a cultural destination that will attract a mix of locals and tourists. In addition to walking and running paths, it will have a community learning garden, a fitness center, audio meditation points along the route, riverside dining destinations and public art by Damian Hirst and British pop artist Allan Jones, among others. It’s being designed by acclaimed firm Diller Scofidio + Renfo (who worked on the High Line) in collaboration with Neilheiser Argyros and landscape architects GROSS.MAX.
“The Tide brings to London an unrivaled outdoor experience in the city,” Kerri Sibson, Director of Greenwich Peninsula, said in a statement. “This bold 3D landscape opens up the river, brings people together, gives us art to absorb, nature to enjoy and space to escape. Most importantly, it’s a place for everyone.”
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
The Tide is part of a larger plan for a whole new neighborhood being developed in Greenwich Peninsula, an area twice the size of Soho. It will eventually have 15,000 new homes, 13,000 new jobs and seven new neighborhoods, including a Design District slated to debut in 2020.
The first half-mile of the Tides will launch on July 5. Greenwich Peninsula will host the Turning Tides Festival on July 5 – 7 and 12 – 14 to celebrate the park’s debut with music, art, film, wellness programming and shoreline feasts. The festival is free to attend.
Featured rendering courtesy of Uniform.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees