There’s a new way to skip the security line at LaGuardia — just pay $15
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The busy holiday travel season is upon us, and there’s a new way to guarantee that you won’t miss your flight due to long security lines at New York’s LaGuardia Airport.
Though you might be familiar with some of the most popular expedited security programs, like TSA PreCheck and Clear, LaGuardia’s new Terminal B has partnered with a different provider that allows you to skip the security line.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Dubbed “B-Fast,” the terminal is trialing a new front-of-the-line pass that takes you directly to the TSA agent for an ID check.
You’ll find the “B-Fast” signage right next to the TSA PreCheck entrance at Terminal B’s main security checkpoint.
To skip the line, each passenger must pay a $15 fee. You can pre-purchase a pass, or you can buy one on-site just before entering the line at bfast.aero. Passes expire 90 days after purchase, so frequent travelers could buy one the night before a flight and then bank it for a day when the line is really atrocious.
There aren’t any annual or monthly subscription options yet, but that’s something under consideration, according to a spokesperson for terminal operator LaGuardia Gateway Partners.
After purchasing the pass, you’ll receive a QR code that will unlock the e-gate that leads directly to the front of the security line. If you have TSA PreCheck, you’ll be able to use that expedited service after the ID check.
During my multiple recent visits to Terminal B, I haven’t seen anyone use the B-Fast lane. The terminal hasn’t done much promotion of the new service, though a spokesperson told TPG that the plan is to market it more widely in the coming days.
The B-Fast lane joins two other expedited security lanes at Terminal B, one for those with TSA PreCheck and another for premium passengers who are entitled to priority security on account of a first-class ticket or airline elite status.
Notably, there are no Clear checkpoints at LaGuardia’s Terminal B, and there aren’t any plans to install them either.
The B-Fast lane is operated by Airboard Group, a third-party company that specializes in expedited boarding and security software.
According to its website, the company operates a revenue share model that allows terminal operators to set their own fees without any upfront costs.
For LaGuardia’s Terminal B, there’s seemingly no downside to partnering with Airboard to offer the B-Fast lane. Even if it sells just a few passes, everything it earns goes straight to its bottom line — there are minimal marginal costs to offering this service.
For travelers, well, this service might be reminiscent of Disney World or a popular ski resort that charges its deep-pocketed guests an extra fee to skip lines.
Personally, I could only see myself using this service if I was running late and security was backed up.
To date, I’ve never waited more than five minutes for the TSA PreCheck lane at Terminal B. It’ll be interesting to see if that changes as leisure travel picks up this holiday season, but at least there’s an option to bypass the line, if necessary.
Interestingly, just a few miles south on the Van Wyck Expressway is Terminal 1 at New York’s JFK Airport, which also offers a priority security option, VIP One, for a $14 fee.
While the price is similar, JFK’s Terminal 1 is notorious for its slow and inefficient security screening process, even during the lull in traffic during the pandemic.
There, I’d consider splurging for the VIP One service, because more often than not, it’ll make a big difference in your airport experience.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees