Insane deal: Le Meridien Maldives overwater villas from 24,000 Bonvoy points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is definitely one you’re going to want to lock in right away. Marriott’s Le Méridien Maldives Resort & Spa is expected to open this August, and the property is currently available at an incredibly low rate, with five-night award stays starting at 120,000 points — that’s just 24,000 Bonvoy points per night, worth $192, based on TPG’s valuations.
As MileValue points out, that base rate even covers a Sunrise Overwater Villa, providing access to the ocean directly from your private deck. Overwater villas are the reason many people book a trip to the Maldives in the first place, so being able to lock one in so inexpensively is quite the win.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Individual nights run between 30,000 and 40,000 points per night, and if you book five nights as one award, you’ll get the lowest-priced award night for free.
30,000-point nights are available on most dates in September, before rates jump up to 35,000 or 40,000 points later in the year.
It’s critical to note that a trip to the Maldives can still be expensive, even when you’re using points to cover your flights and room. For example, Le Meridien adds a mandatory $420 charge per person for seaplane transportation from Male (MLE) — you may be able to arrange private transportation on your own and avoid that automatic fee, but you’ll spend considerably more for a yacht ride or private flight.
You’ll need to pay with points entirely to earn a free fifth night, but on nights that require 35,000 points or less, you could extend your stay using the free-night certificates that come along with several Marriott credit cards, including the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card and the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card. The Marriott Bonvoy Business card has a welcome offer of 75,000 Bonus Marriott Bonvoy Points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless card has a bonus of three free nights (each night valued up to 50,000 points) after spending $3,000 on purchases in your first three months from account opening.
Marriott’s other Maldives properties are far more expensive when redeeming points, though, and I’d expect this particular resort to jump quite a bit as well. For example, a free night at the Westin will run you at least 50,000 points, while a night at the St. Regis starts at 70,000 points — or 40,000 and 56,000, respectively, with the fifth night free. Notably, overwater rooms require more points or a cash co-pay at both resorts.
Don’t have enough points in your account? While you could technically use Marriott Points Advance to reserve your room, Bonvoy won’t lock in the current rate until you actually redeem your points — if the points requirement goes up, as it almost certainly will, you’ll ultimately end up booking at the current rate.
Instead, given the redemption value here, I might consider transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards or Amex Membership Rewards at a 1:1 rate — we value those rewards significantly higher than Bonvoy points, but it could make sense to move points over in this case.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees