LAX now offering rapid coronavirus testing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To accommodate an increase in travel, Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) has begun offering rapid coronavirus testing near Terminal 6. Located inside a shipping container, the testing site provides PCR test results within 3-5 hours. According to Justin Erbacci, chief executive of Los Angeles World Airports, the testing center aims to provide a safer experience for those who are traveling right now, either for essential or leisure purposes.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter!
As one of the busiest airports in the world, LAX saw over 26,000 million travelers between January and November 2020 alone. While that is about a third of the numbers seen in 2019, it represents a substantial number of people who are traveling during a pandemic and need to do so safely. Officials anticipate processing 1,000 tests per day, a significant bump from the current 250-300.
Passengers transiting through Terminal 2 and Tom Bradley have access to a separate testing center that provides results within 24 hours. That center has processed 14,000 tests since opening in November.
LAX travelers seeking a PCR test are highly advised to book an appointment, though walk-in appointments are available. The lab expects a rise in demand as more people resume traveling. California has been under a stay-at-home order for most of December, contributing to a 40% drop in airport traffic during the holidays, which is much lower than officials had anticipated. With vaccine distribution set to increase in the next few months, this number is expected to rise along with a demand for PCR testing.
LAX is just one of 26 U.S. airports offering PCR testing. At $125, it’s also one of the cheapest. In comparison, same-day PCR tests at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) cost $250.
Travelers who are testing as part of entry requirements for destinations like Hawaii, Alaska and French Polynesia will want to head to the Terminal 6 testing site for a quicker turnaround. The center is open between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily. Meanwhile, the Terminal 2 and Tom Bradley locations operate until 7 p.m.
Featured photo by kevinjeon00 / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees