LGBTQ people of color now have a resource for finding inclusive businesses while traveling
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It was a critical resource during the Jim Crow era that advised on which establishments in a given town or city — from restaurants and retail stores to hotels and even gas stations — were friendly to Black customers during a time in which it was legal in large swaths of the country to discriminate based on the color of someone’s skin.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Now, the premise of the Green Book has been reimagined for today in the form of “the Lavender Book.” Created by the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC), an advocacy group for the Black LGBTQ community, the Lavender Book is an online, crowd-sourced platform that highlights businesses that are friendly to LGBTQ people of color, according to reporting by Time.
When you arrive at the website, you can search for venues by name, city, type of space as well as filter by certain characteristics such as “Black-owned” or “trans-owned.”
While it is crowd-sourced, meaning users can submit entries for places they’ve visited on their travels, all submissions are reviewed by the NBJC, which moderates the site. The Lavender Book launched just a few days ago, so there isn’t a huge amount of listings yet. For example, there are just eight listings in New York City, two each in Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Atlanta and none yet in several large cities including Chicago, Houston and Dallas.
Still, as word gets out about the Lavender Book, it will likely be a hugely useful resource for LGBTQ people of color as they travel — and it will hopefully lead to more businesses becoming more welcoming to all travelers.
The platform, which was launched with help from Out In Tech, a group that provides support to LGBTQ people in the tech industry, comes at a precarious time for LGBTQ people — especially those in the trans community. State legislators across the nation have, according to the Human Rights Campaign in Time, introduced “over 250 anti-LGBTQ bills,” at least eight of which have become law. And violence against transgender people — especially Black trans women — is at an all-time high.
The Lavender Book hopes to leverage technology and a more connected human network to identify places where marginalized groups feel safe and included, whether they’re traveling to a new city or exploring their own home.
Featured photo by TonyTheTigersSon/Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees