La Compagnie, an all-business-class airline, just announced 2 new international routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While we’ve seen plenty of new airline routes during the pandemic, most have been within the U.S. — and operated by domestic carriers.
But Thursday’s news is different.
Paris-based La Compagnie, which operates jets exclusively outfitted with business class, just unveiled two new long-haul services launching over the coming months. The carrier also reaffirmed its plans to continue and restart service on two of its previously served routes.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The first new flight to launch, from Newark (EWR) to Tel Aviv (TLV), will take off on July 21, and operate seasonally through Oct. 30. The route will be operated three times per week and will include a 90-minute ground stop in Paris-Orly (ORY).
Though La Compagnie is marketing this is a completely new route, in reality, the carrier is only launching new flights between ORY and TLV. The carrier will use its existing EWR to Paris flight to connect onwards to Israel. Though details about the transit experience weren’t immediately available, flyers will likely need to disembark and clear an enhanced security screening before boarding the flight to Israel.
The second route, from Newark to Milan (MXP), marks a new long-haul service for the airline. It’ll launch Nov. 29 with four weekly flights.
Both of the new flights will be operated by an Airbus A321neo. For those not familiar, La Compagnie is an all-business-class airline. Its single-aisle Airbus jets have just 76 fully lie-flat pods, arranged in a 2-2 configuration. You can read more about the airline’s A321s in our detailed review.
In addition to exclusively offering business class, La Compagnie is also known for its affordable fares. Flights to TLV start at $2,000 round trip, while the Milan service will start at $1,700 round trip. Relative to the legacy carriers that often charge $4,000 or more for business class on these routes, flying with La Compagnie is a relative bargain.
Of course, the upside to flying with a legacy carrier is protection in case of irregular operations, as well as their partnership in a global alliance. La Compagnie is independent and doesn’t partner with any U.S. airline.
While the TLV flight is slated to begin in roughly a month, the Milan service has a longer booking window. As such, it’s important to consider that the airline’s plans could always change, especially due to the pandemic and considering the fact that the carrier has just two planes.
In addition to the new service announced on Thursday, the airline has already restarted flights to Paris-Orly (ORY). La Compagnie grounded its fleet at the outset of the pandemic, and roughly 15 months later, it resumed operations with two weekly flights from EWR to ORY. Service resumed on June 12, with the first four flights achieving a 100% load factor, according to an airline spokesperson. The airline’s planning to increase the frequency throughout 2021.
In addition to resuming ORY service, La Compagnie will resume flights to Nice (NCE) on July 2 with three weekly flights. This route launched in 2019 but didn’t operate in 2020 due to the pandemic. The carrier told TPG that it operated at a 79% load factor in 2019.
To celebrate the announcement, all promotional tickets are changeable and refundable at no cost up to 24 hours before the flight. Of course, availability for the discount fares varies, and one-way itineraries are pricing at more than half the cost of the round-trip. You can purchase flights directly on the carrier’s website.
Despite La Compagnie’s unique business model, it’ll face some significant competitive headwinds on its new routes, especially the service to Milan. This popular route from the New York area is already served by the U.S. “Big 3,” as well as Alitalia and Emirates, which flies it as a fifth-freedom service with onward connections to Dubai.
As for Israel, the carrier could find its venture successful, especially among the strong local market on both ends of the route. However, all Big 3 U.S. airlines, as well as Israel-based El Al, operated multiple daily nonstops between New York and Tel Aviv.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees