Korean Air Implements Steep Penalty Fees for Cancellations and No-Shows
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the latest example of “this is why we can’t have nice things,” Korean Air is raising rates on last-minute ticket changes.
Following a particularly egregious display of poor behavior from celebrity-crazed youth, Korean Air announced it would soon increase refund fees on cancelled and no-show tickets, even on premium fares.
Those fees went into effect on Jan. 1 and are even higher than previously reported. Travelers who no-show for their flights will lose between $50-120, depending on the length of the flight, while those who cancel their flights after checking in and entering the secure departure area of the airport stand to lose between $250-320.
Here’s a breakdown of the new fees:
||Region||No-Show Penalty||Cancellation after entering the departure area|
|Long Haul||America/Europe/Middle East/Oceania/Africa||USD 120
|Medium Haul||Southeast Asia/Southwest Asia/Tashkent||USD 70
|Short Haul||Korea/Japan/China/Hong Kong/Taipei/Ulaanbaatar/Vladivostok/Irkutsk||USD 50
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees