K-Pop Fans Disrupt Korean Air Flight by Harassing Pop Band, Causing Costly Delay
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Three Korean pop music fans purchased premium cabin tickets on a Korean Air flight departing Hong Kong for Seoul on Saturday in order to gain access to popular K-pop band Wanna One.
The band members of Wanna One had performed at the 2018 M-net Asian Music Awards in Hong Kong the night before, and boarded the flight just before takeoff, taking seats in the first-class cabin. The fans, who had purchased full-fare first class and business-class tickets and brandished posters of the band, swarmed the performers and ignored flight crew requests to stay seated in order for the flight to depart on time.
According to local newspaper Chosun Ilbo, the fans then demanded to leave the plane, despite being told that their request would force the entire plane load of 360 passengers to disembark and undergo full security screening procedures again — a measure designed to prevent anyone from boarding in order to plant a bomb on board. Furthermore, the fans insisted on a full refund for their full-fare tickets, to which they were entitled under Korean Air policy. One Korean Air employee told Chosun Ilbo, “We told the three passengers not to disembark, but it was no use.”
As a result of the fans’ disruptive behavior, the Korean Air flight departed Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) about an hour late, forcing the airline to compensate the other travelers on board for the delay.
TPG reached out to Korean Air for comment, but did not hear from the airline by the time of publication.
Although the fans have not been identified, news outlets have reported them to be in their 20s, from Hong Kong and Mainland China, with local newspaper Hankook Ilbo going so far as to call them “idiots” for their actions.
Chosun Ilbo stated that hardcore fans in Asia have begun to purchase pricy premium-cabin tickets solely for the opportunity to get closer access to their celebrity idols, screaming and snapping photos well past the security checkpoints in a very disruptive manner. Many purchase first-class tickets because ticket holders are entitled to full or almost-full refunds for missed flights, and fans often make money off of the paparazzi-style videos or images they capture up close. Seoul’s Incheon International Airport (ICN) is notorious for such homegrown paparazzi incidents, because Korean law does not prosecute people who enter departure areas without intention of boarding their flights.
Featured photo courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees