KLM picks Austin for new Amsterdam route
Austin has landed another high-profile international route, this time to Amsterdam on Dutch carrier KLM.
The service will begin May 4, with KLM operating three flights a week on 292-seat Airbus A330-300 wide-body jets. The planes have 30 business-class seats arranged in a 2x2x2 configuration. The 262 seats in economy are in a 2x4x2 layout and include 40 extra-legroom “Economy Comfort” seats. Flights will operate Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
For KLM, Austin will become its 19th North Atlantic route and its 13th to the United States.
In announcing the new Texas route, KLM touted its expanding presence across the Atlantic that’s happening in conjunction with its joint-business partners.
“We have built up a robust transatlantic network thanks to our joint ventures with Air France and Delta Air Lines. We will continue to optimize this network,” KLM CEO Pieter Elbers said in a statement. “As part of this we launched services to Boston and Las Vegas in the summer and are now adding Austin to our North American destinations.”
KLM’s other U.S. destinations are: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago O’Hare, Houston Bush Intercontinental, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York JFK, San Francisco, Salt Lake City and Washington Dulles.
To fit Austin into the lineup at its Amsterdam hub, however, the carrier said “changes will be made to the long-haul KLM network to free up slots at Schiphol.” KLM did not specify what changes might be in store.
“KLM is faced with slot restrictions at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, so we continuously optimize our portfolio of destinations,” the carrier added in a statement to TPG, though it did not offer further details.
For Austin, KLM becomes the newest addition to its own trans-Atlantic route map.
British Airways became the first carrier add regularly scheduled flights between Austin and Europe in 2014, when it launched service to London Heathrow. Now, the addition of Amsterdam gives Austin’s fast-growing airport its fourth nonstop route to Europe. Lufthansa flies to Frankfurt while Norwegian Air offers seasonal service to London Gatwick.
In a statement, Austin–Bergstrom International Airport noted “KLM’s announcement follows Delta’s naming Austin a focus city and opening a SkyClub at AUS earlier this year. KLM and Delta are both members of the SkyTeam Alliance.”
“KLM’s flights contribute to Austin-Bergstrom’s goal of connecting Austin to the world, and the world to Austin,” Austin airport director Jacqueline Yaft added. “Our recent 9-gate expansion gives AUS six new international-capable gates, and we look forward to growing those capabilities even more in the future as the airport itself expands.”
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees