Key West Just Banned Some Sunscreens Believed to Harm Coral Reefs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The city of Key West — the farthermost island in the Florida Keys — just voted to ban sunscreens containing the chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate, both of which are believed to harm coral reefs. It joins the state of Hawaii, which voted to ban such sunscreens last spring. In both destinations, the bans will come into effect on Jan. 1, 2021.
Though there is still debate about the exact effects these chemicals have on coral reefs, scientific studies suggest that oxybenzone and octinoxate cause coral bleaching and other damage to marine ecosystems and animals. The motion was supported by Key West’s Mayor Teri Johnston and the nonprofit organization Reef Relief, which advocates for the protection and restoration of coral reefs.
The ban will affect popular sunscreen brands such as Neutrogena, Coppertone and La Roche-Posay. According to Reef Relief, 14,000 tons of sunscreen enter the world’s reefs every year, crippling coral’s natural defense against bleaching. The organization suggests avoiding sunscreens containing not just oxybenzone and octinoxate but also avobenzone, camphor derivates, cinnamates, clear or nano zinc, cyclopentasiloxane, cyclomethicone, methylisothiazolinone, octyl methoxycinnamate, parabens, plastic microbeads and sodium laurel sulfate.
Basically, when in doubt, choose natural or organic sunscreen.
“Our dive boats and charters have been educating our guests on alternative sunscreen products that are not detrimental to our coral reef and nearshore waters for years,” Mayor Johnston told TPG. “Sunscreen products sold at any venue in Key West will be required to be oxybenzone and octinoxate free by January 2021 which gives them almost two years to adjust their inventory and educate their customers.”
Mayor Johnston added that Key West has a number of enforcement agencies that will assist in enforcing the ban, but locals and visitors with a doctor’s note will be exempt. First-time violators will get a written warning, with all future offenses punishable by civil citations. She hopes that intense public education will encourage people to choose ecologically friendly sunscreens by brands such as Badger Balm, Raw Elements, Stream2Sea, All Good, Surf Durt, Suntegrity Skinscare and Godess Garden Organics, which are recommended by Reef Relief.
“We welcome all guests who understand that we are an environmentally-sensitive island and who respect our desire to protect our island for generations to come,” Mayor Johnston said.
In addition to Key West and Hawaii, the Pacific island nation of Palau has also introduced legislation that could ban “reef-toxic” products by 2020.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees