Kauai officially ending resort bubble experiment
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kauai’s resort bubble is officially popped. Kauai will no longer require quarantine for visitors in a resort bubble. Kauai Mayor Derek Kawakami saying there is no longer a need since vaccine exemptions are going into effect.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
The major issued an amended emergency rule ending the program as the County of Kaua‘i enters “Tier 5” on Thursday, July 8. Hawaii is expected to reach 60% of residents vaccinated by this week.
Mayor Kawakami said, “As of Thursday, Tier 5 will allow gatherings of up to 75 people outdoors or 25 indoors. Restaurants, gyms, buses and attractions will be able to operate at 75 percent capacity.”
He said Tier 6 isn’t far behind, “Once Hawai‘i reaches 70 percent fully vaccinated, we will move to Tier 6 and eliminate all restrictions.”
The Hawaiian island had among the most restrictive COVID-19 restrictions of any of the Hawaiian Islands, as I reported back in January. In the early days of the pandemic, the island was off-limits to tourists altogether, but early this year, it instituted a mandatory 72-hour quarantine — just one of the requirements of the island’s then-new “resort bubble” concept.
Kauai required a full 14-day quarantine before then since it decided not to participate in the state’s “test-out program.”
The program allowed tourists to book trips to one of six resorts on the island and stay in a “resort bubble” for three days before taking another COVID-19 test and then being released from quarantine.
Mayor Kawakami said, “The Resort Bubbles helped keep Kaua‘i safe from community spread of COVID-19 by isolating travelers until they could take a post-arrival test, as recommended by the CDC,” but he said the program is no longer needed.
If you are planning a trip, you can even get vaccinated in Kauai. Most pharmacies and clinics on the island are even accepting walk-ins. Visit kauai.gov/vaccine.
Visitors to Hawaii will still need to take the following steps (from the state of Hawaii):
- Upload one of three vaccination documents to their Safe Travels Hawai‘i account prior to traveling to Hawaii. One of the following documents must be uploaded:
- A CDC COVID-19 vaccination record card
- VAMS (Vaccination Administration Management System) printout or
- DOD DD Form 2766C
- Sign the online legal attestations on Safe Travels Hawaiʻi, confirming the uploaded documentation is true and accurate.
- Bring a hard copy of the vaccination documentation to show screeners at the gate prior to boarding and/or upon arrival in Hawaii. Screeners will review/verify the vaccination documents, match photo IDs, name and date of birth, as well as confirm that the attestations are signed.
We’ve covered the full list of what you need to know prior to visiting Hawaii here.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees