JFK and Newark AirTrain fares are increasing
Starting on Friday, Nov. 1, JFK and Newark AirTrain fares will increase from $5.50 to $7.75.
The AirTrain fare increase was presented back in June along with the announcement that a $4 fee would be added to ride-hailing car services (like Uber, Lyft, etc.) and taxis for pick-ups at all New York City-area airports.
Port Authority officials specifically highlighted that AirTrain fares, which were previously $5 — $5.50, haven’t increased in over 12 years. The plan will also raise tolls on bridges and tunnels and increase fares on the PATH rail service.
The decision came from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey as a way to help keep up with inflation and fund more than $30 billion in capital projects over the next decade, the AP reported. Some of these projects include airport renovations, such as a new AirTrain to LaGuardia Airport (LGA), replacing the old, decrepit EWR AirTrain, and continuing the ongoing construction at JFK. There is also a capital plan for a new Terminal B at EWR in the works, which will cost about $35 million.
Featured image by Katrin Sauerwein/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.