JFK and Newark AirTrain fares are increasing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting on Friday, Nov. 1, JFK and Newark AirTrain fares will increase from $5.50 to $7.75.
The AirTrain fare increase was presented back in June along with the announcement that a $4 fee would be added to ride-hailing car services (like Uber, Lyft, etc.) and taxis for pick-ups at all New York City-area airports.
Port Authority officials specifically highlighted that AirTrain fares, which were previously $5 — $5.50, haven’t increased in over 12 years. The plan will also raise tolls on bridges and tunnels and increase fares on the PATH rail service.
The decision came from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey as a way to help keep up with inflation and fund more than $30 billion in capital projects over the next decade, the AP reported. Some of these projects include airport renovations, such as a new AirTrain to LaGuardia Airport (LGA), replacing the old, decrepit EWR AirTrain, and continuing the ongoing construction at JFK. There is also a capital plan for a new Terminal B at EWR in the works, which will cost about $35 million.
Featured image by Katrin Sauerwein/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.