JetBlue plans new New England link from Washington Reagan National
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue Airways has a new link to add to its Washington, D.C., network, connecting the U.S. capital with Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, next summer.
The New York-based carrier will offer thrice-weekly seasonal service between Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA) and Martha’s Vineyard (MVY) beginning June 12, JetBlue announced Friday. The route will operate on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays through Sept. 7 with Embraer E190 aircraft.
The new flight will complement the seasonal service between Washington and Nantucket (ACK) that JetBlue has offered since 2015, according to Cirium schedule data.
JetBlue’s new Martha’s Vineyard route comes after a year of network cuts at Washington National. The airline ended service to Hartford (BDL) and Tampa (TPA) in July, and Charleston (CHS) in South Carolina and Jacksonville (JAX) in October. It is now using slots used from those routes for more frequencies to its hub in Boston and to its bases in Florida.
“With 30 slots at DCA, we didn’t have enough to make ourselves relevant,” JetBlue director of route planning Andrea Lusso told TPG in September. The airline shifted the slots from the four routes to play to “our strengths,” like the lucrative shuttle between Washington and Boston, he added.
JetBlue carried nearly a fifth more passengers at National in August than a year ago following the first round of network changes, according to the airport. The airline replaced E190s with larger Airbus A320s on several of the added flights to Boston.
While Martha’s Vineyard may not appear like a relevant market for JetBlue, the carrier was the largest to the island with a 41% share of scheduled passengers in 2018, according to U.S. Department of Transportation data via Cirium. In addition, the Vineyard is closely tied to the Boston area where JetBlue has a sizable base and brand presence.
In addition, JetBlue codeshares with Cape Air to Boston, New York John F. Kennedy (JFK), and Nantucket from Martha’s Vineyard, Cirium schedules show.
The airline will utilize slots at Washington National that it currently employs on the Boston shuttle for the seasonal Martha’s Vineyard flights.
JetBlue will compete with American Airlines between Washington and Martha’s Vineyard,.
Featured image by Craig Warga/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.