JetBlue plans new New England link from Washington Reagan National
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue Airways has a new link to add to its Washington, D.C., network, connecting the U.S. capital with Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, next summer.
The New York-based carrier will offer thrice-weekly seasonal service between Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA) and Martha’s Vineyard (MVY) beginning June 12, JetBlue announced Friday. The route will operate on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays through Sept. 7 with Embraer E190 aircraft.
The new flight will complement the seasonal service between Washington and Nantucket (ACK) that JetBlue has offered since 2015, according to Cirium schedule data.
JetBlue’s new Martha’s Vineyard route comes after a year of network cuts at Washington National. The airline ended service to Hartford (BDL) and Tampa (TPA) in July, and Charleston (CHS) in South Carolina and Jacksonville (JAX) in October. It is now using slots used from those routes for more frequencies to its hub in Boston and to its bases in Florida.
“With 30 slots at DCA, we didn’t have enough to make ourselves relevant,” JetBlue director of route planning Andrea Lusso told TPG in September. The airline shifted the slots from the four routes to play to “our strengths,” like the lucrative shuttle between Washington and Boston, he added.
JetBlue carried nearly a fifth more passengers at National in August than a year ago following the first round of network changes, according to the airport. The airline replaced E190s with larger Airbus A320s on several of the added flights to Boston.
While Martha’s Vineyard may not appear like a relevant market for JetBlue, the carrier was the largest to the island with a 41% share of scheduled passengers in 2018, according to U.S. Department of Transportation data via Cirium. In addition, the Vineyard is closely tied to the Boston area where JetBlue has a sizable base and brand presence.
In addition, JetBlue codeshares with Cape Air to Boston, New York John F. Kennedy (JFK), and Nantucket from Martha’s Vineyard, Cirium schedules show.
The airline will utilize slots at Washington National that it currently employs on the Boston shuttle for the seasonal Martha’s Vineyard flights.
JetBlue will compete with American Airlines between Washington and Martha’s Vineyard,.
Featured image by Craig Warga/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees