JetBlue sets date for new South America route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue Airways will land in the South American nation of Guyana next April as it continues to expand its network with the new Airbus A321neo.
The New York-based carrier will offer daily service between Guyana’s capital Georgetown (GEO) and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) from April 2, the company announced Tuesday.
Flights will be flown on JetBlue’s new A321neo, which entered service Monday. The aircraft has 200 seats, including 42 Even More Space seats, and other onboard amenities like JetBlue Pantry.
JetBlue has faced delays with the A321neo. After postponing its first delivery by a year to 2019, it now faces the prospect of taking delivery of just six aircraft this year — instead of 13 as planned — due to Airbus supply chain issues. The carrier expects 14 A321neos in 2020.
As a result of the delays, JetBlue has postponed cabin retrofits to its Airbus A320 aircraft.
Georgetown is JetBlue’s second new destination with the A321neo. The airline will begin flights to Guayaquil (GYE) in Ecuador from JFK with the aircraft on Dec. 5. The A321neo makes both routes possible with an additional 575 miles in range as compared to the first generation A321, according to the airline.
JetBlue first announced plans to serve both Georgetown and Guayaquil from JFK at an employee event in April.
JetBlue will add JFK to Guayaquil, Guyana both with the A321neo in 2020 pic.twitter.com/N2avZXQiHV
— Edward Russell (@e_russell) April 10, 2019
American Airlines, perhaps in a pre-emptive move ahead of JetBlue’s debut, will begin flights to the Guyanese capital from JFK on Dec. 18.
Both American and JetBlue will compete with Caribbean Airlines on the Georgetown-JFK route, according to Diio by Cirium schedule data.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.