JetBlue sets date for new South America route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue Airways will land in the South American nation of Guyana next April as it continues to expand its network with the new Airbus A321neo.
The New York-based carrier will offer daily service between Guyana’s capital Georgetown (GEO) and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) from April 2, the company announced Tuesday.
Flights will be flown on JetBlue’s new A321neo, which entered service Monday. The aircraft has 200 seats, including 42 Even More Space seats, and other onboard amenities like JetBlue Pantry.
JetBlue has faced delays with the A321neo. After postponing its first delivery by a year to 2019, it now faces the prospect of taking delivery of just six aircraft this year — instead of 13 as planned — due to Airbus supply chain issues. The carrier expects 14 A321neos in 2020.
As a result of the delays, JetBlue has postponed cabin retrofits to its Airbus A320 aircraft.
Georgetown is JetBlue’s second new destination with the A321neo. The airline will begin flights to Guayaquil (GYE) in Ecuador from JFK with the aircraft on Dec. 5. The A321neo makes both routes possible with an additional 575 miles in range as compared to the first generation A321, according to the airline.
JetBlue first announced plans to serve both Georgetown and Guayaquil from JFK at an employee event in April.
JetBlue will add JFK to Guayaquil, Guyana both with the A321neo in 2020 pic.twitter.com/N2avZXQiHV
— Edward Russell (@e_russell) April 10, 2019
American Airlines, perhaps in a pre-emptive move ahead of JetBlue’s debut, will begin flights to the Guyanese capital from JFK on Dec. 18.
Both American and JetBlue will compete with Caribbean Airlines on the Georgetown-JFK route, according to Diio by Cirium schedule data.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees