Put down the phone: You can now chat with JetBlue for assistance
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You can now forget JetBlue’s hold music. Starting today, users of JetBlue’s iOS app can now chat with the airline instead of picking up the phone.
JetBlue quietly released Version 4.10 of the airline’s app to the iOS App Store. As part of the release notes, JetBlue notes that “JetBlue is available on chat! You can now connect with a JetBlue crewmember through our in-app chat for assistance—tap ‘More’, then ‘Help’ to get started.”
When I saw the news, I immediately updated my JetBlue app and took the feature for a spin. It took a bit of digging to find the chat functionality, but once at the Help page, the top option is now “Chat with us.” I needed to enable push notifications for chat messages, but once complete, I was chatting with the airline.
Android phone users don’t (yet) get the same love from JetBlue. An airline spokesperson confirmed that the in-app chat functionality is coming to Android in early November. In the meantime, Android users are instructed to text JetBlue.
When starting a chat, there’s an automated message asking what you need help with and will connect you with a crewmember. After writing that I needed help with canceling a flight, I was instantly connected with an agent and within minutes had my reservation canceled.
I was quite impressed with the feature, especially the speed of the response. I can imagine that this will be useful in situations when you don’t have time to get on the phone. This could also be a great alternative to waiting on hold during times of severe weather. (And if you need help getting in touch with other airlines, we’ve got a guide for that).
The one missing feature that I’d like to see is a status bar telling me how many customers are waiting for a chat agent. Otherwise, I thought the execution was great — I got push notifications when the agent responded to my message and the chat history saved when leaving the app. Note that when using the chat functionality you can’t complete transactions that require payment details.
It’s great when airlines innovate in customer-friendly ways, so I’m hopeful that other airlines will take note and consider adding a similar feature. In the meantime, put down your AirPods, forget 1-800-JETBLUE and update the JetBlue app. There’s a chat representative waiting to help you.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees