JetBlue founder may launch new U.S. startup ‘Moxy’ next year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue Airways founder David Neeleman does not want to wait to launch his next airline venture.
The U.S.-based carrier, temporarily called Moxy, aims to launch with up to 30 used Embraer E-Jets from Neeleman’s Brazilian carrier Azul in 2020, reported The Air Current Thursday. Air Current editor Jon Ostrower spoke with Neeleman at the delivery of the first E195-E2 to Azul at Embraer’s facility in São José dos Campos, Brazil.
Azul, which Neeleman founded in 2008 after stepping down at JetBlue, plans to replace E190s and E195s with its new E195-E2s. The Brazilian carrier expects six E2s by year end, and another 14 in 2020, its latest investor presentation shows.
Moxy has previously aimed to launch in 2021 when it is scheduled to begin taking delivery of new Airbus A220-300 jets. The airline has 60 aircraft on order.
A 2020 launch is far from certain. Moxy has yet to secure an Air Operator Certificate from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, something the airline needs before it can begin to operate commercial passenger flights.
The certification process has proven a stumbling block to other recent U.S. startups. However, Neeleman is no stranger to the process having set up both JetBlue and Morris Air — which Southwest Airlines bought in 1994 — in the U.S.
Neeleman has previously described Moxy as a “technology company that happens to fly airplanes,” touting a focus on using technology for customer service. The airline plans to serve secondary markets that do not have nonstop service today.
Featured image by Luiz Souza/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees