Israel bans almost all international air travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In response to the global spread of new strains of the novel coronavirus, Israel has opted to temporarily halt all international air travel.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more airline news!
The government has closed the country’s main international airport Tel Aviv Ben Gurion, as of Monday, Jan. 25 and is currently scheduled to remain closed until Jan. 31.
In a statement on Sunday, the country’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called the move necessary to help stop the spread of new strains of the virus.
“We are closing the skies hermetically, except for really rare exceptions, to prevent the entry of virus mutations, and also to ensure that we progress quickly with our vaccination campaign,” Netanyahu said.
Exceptions will include cargo flights, firefighting flights and flights for emergency medical evacuation.
Israel‘s new temporary ban on almost all flights is one of the strictest measures currently in place around the world. However, other countries are also implementing similar measures. The U.K., for example, has banned travel from all of South America, Portugal and many parts of south Africa.
In places like New Zealand and Australia, tough measures on international flights have been in place since the early stages of the pandemic. Both countries have returned to an almost normal way of life.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.