Could this coffee shop seat design make business travel more productive?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The innovative seat design that recreates a coffee shop meeting in the sky just took home the Cabin Concept trophy at the Crystal Cabin Awards.
The Coffee House Cabin concept was honored Tuesday night for its clever use of space and recreation of the cafe atmosphere. It was engineered by students and teachers at the University of Cincinnati together with the Boeing Company and The Live Well Collaborative.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
The idea behind the design is to increase productivity for business travelers with a dedicated workstation and personal space, something most travelers — business or otherwise — would gladly welcome while flying. Part of its design appeal is that it suits the style of “coffee shop culture” that many in the workforce are used to.
Designed for twin-aisle planes at a price point around that of premium economy, it swaps a section of middle seats for a series of co-working tables, with four passengers seated at each table. For taxi, takeoff and landing, the seats would face forward and the wings of the table will detract.
When the plane reaches cruising altitude, the seats would swivel, the table wings would lift up and passengers could get to work. Retractable HD video screens located in the center of each table would double as low-rise partitions for passengers seated across from each other. AC/USB ports would be built-in to the tables.
Much like the concept cars we often see on display at auto shows, the Coffee House Cabin is a long ways off from being available in any commercial plane. But designs like this give us hope that better airplane cabin designs are not just a pipe dream.
Featured photo courtesy of the Live Well Collaborative.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees