This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chase is in the process of making changes to its IHG co-branded credit card portfolio, and as part of those changes, there have been questions circulating about whether current holders of the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card would keep the unrestricted anniversary free night that’s good at essentially any IHG property worldwide.
We’ve previously reached out to Chase on this question but haven’t received a response as of this writing. However, today TPG reader Jason M. received a letter from Chase that appears to confirm the bad news.
As the letter notes, current IHG Select cardholders will apparently not have their unrestricted anniversary free night grandfathered in with their old cards. Rather, any anniversary free nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be restricted to IHG properties “with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.”
That’s very disappointing news, as one of the most popular features of the current IHG credit card was the unrestricted anniversary free night. That said, it’s not entirely unsurprising as most other hotel co-branded credit cards that offer an anniversary free night are also category restricted, such as the Category 1-4 night on the Hyatt Credit Card and the Category 1-5 night on the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card. The one major exception is the complimentary weekend night you get each year with the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express.
We’ll have more information on the new IHG credit card options when they’re available, but for the moment, folks with the current IHG card offering will need to adjust their plans for their anniversary free night going forward if it’s issued after May 1, 2018.
Featured image of Intercontinental New York-Midtown courtesy of the hotel.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards