This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chase is in the process of making changes to its IHG co-branded credit card portfolio, and as part of those changes, there have been questions circulating about whether current holders of the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card would keep the unrestricted anniversary free night that’s good at essentially any IHG property worldwide.
We’ve previously reached out to Chase on this question but haven’t received a response as of this writing. However, today TPG reader Jason M. received a letter from Chase that appears to confirm the bad news.
As the letter notes, current IHG Select cardholders will apparently not have their unrestricted anniversary free night grandfathered in with their old cards. Rather, any anniversary free nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be restricted to IHG properties “with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.”
That’s very disappointing news, as one of the most popular features of the current IHG credit card was the unrestricted anniversary free night. That said, it’s not entirely unsurprising as most other hotel co-branded credit cards that offer an anniversary free night are also category restricted, such as the Category 1-4 night on the Hyatt Credit Card and the Category 1-5 night on the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card. The one major exception is the complimentary weekend night you get each year with the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express.
We’ll have more information on the new IHG credit card options when they’re available, but for the moment, folks with the current IHG card offering will need to adjust their plans for their anniversary free night going forward if it’s issued after May 1, 2018.
Featured image of Intercontinental New York-Midtown courtesy of the hotel.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees