2x earnings and 10,000 bonus points for cardholders: Is IHG’s latest promotion worth it?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest IHG promotion.
IHG Rewards just launched a new promotion, offering double points for qualifying IHG stays from Oct. 1 to Dec. 15, 2020. Members who have the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card will get an extra 10,000 bonus points on their first qualifying night during this promotional period.
You must register for this promotion before your stay.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The promotion is pretty straightforward. You will earn double points at participating hotels, assuming you spend at least $30 per stay. There is no limit to the number of IHG points you can earn. The 10,000-point bonus for IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit cardholders, however, is issued just once.
According to IHG, the following rates do not qualify for this promotion:
Net wholesale individual and group rates paid for by a master account/folio, certain package rates, the employee discount rate, the friends and family rate, the crew rate, special discounted contract rates, the seasonal worker/crew rate, the 50% travel club discount rate, the distressed passenger rate, IHG Rewards Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, most rates booked through most third-party web sites, complimentary hotel Stays, and any other rates not defined as Qualifying Rates
This isn’t as lucrative as IHG’s last promotion, which offered tiered bonuses of up to 4x points. That being said, this promotion is better suited to the current travel climate when people aren’t traveling much, letting alone booking multiple hotel stays.
Related reading: Booking direct: How much value does IHG status provide?
Maximizing this promotion
Combining IHG’s double points promotion with bonuses from elite status and the IHG credit card can be quite lucrative. For example, a $100 hotel stay would earn you 2,000 bonus points from this promotion. If you have the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, which comes with Platinum elite status, you’d earn 2,500 bonus points.
Factor in the 10,000-point cardholder bonus with the 10x points for charging your stay to the card and you’ll have 13,500 IHG points. That’s enough for a low-category award night, valued at around $67.50 (according to TPG’s current valuation).
At the moment, the AAdvantage shopping portal is offering 2 AAdvantage miles per dollar spent with IHG. So, in addition to earning IHG points, you could add on another 200 AAdvantage miles to that $100 hotel booking.
per dollar spent
|Points earned||Elite bonus||Total||TPG
Related reading: The best ways to earn points with the IHG Rewards program
Other current IHG promotions
In addition to this promotion, IHG is also offering two other promotions that can help you save and earn free nights. The Stay Longer and Save promotion lets IHG members save 10-20% on the Book Now Pay Later Rate at participating properties.
Meanwhile, the InterContinental Ambassador program is offering a free night worth up to 40,000 points. All you have to do is join or renew your Ambassador membership by Nov. 15 and stay at an InterContinental, Kimpton or Regent hotel. IHG has lots of excellent properties for 40,000 points per night, including the Kimpton Eventi.
Related reading: Your complete guide to all current hotel promotions
While IHG’s double points promotion isn’t quite groundbreaking, it can pay off nicely if you have the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card and plan on staying at an IHG property this year. The 10,000-point bonus for IHG cardholders is much more lucrative and worth considering if you’re deciding between hotel chains for an upcoming stay. Between the 10,000 points and the Platinum status bonus, the IHG card can make this promotion much more lucrative.
Some of you may be rolling your eyes at the notion of staying at hotels right now, but just a weeks ago, my entire neighborhood had to evacuate and find hotels to stay at for the next few nights. I know lots of people who headed to the local Holiday Inn (and probably didn’t earn points) when they didn’t expect to be staying at hotels anytime soon.
Additional reporting by JT Genter.
Featured image of the InterContinental Bora Bora by JT Genter/The Points Guy
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about IHG promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for the latest offer. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older deals below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.