Visit one of these six incredible ice castles in North America
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever wonder what it would be like to explore a beautiful ice castle like the one in “Frozen?” This winter season, you can visit one of six ice castle locations throughout North America and summon your inner Elsa (or Olaf).
Since 2011, the company Ice Castles has been creating interactive experiences made out of thousands of icicles hand-placed by professional ice artists. The company was cofounded by Brent Christensen, who created the first ice castle in his own front yard for his kids in Utah, and Ryan Davis, who acts as CEO. Now, there are six locations across North America:
- Dillon, Colorado
- New Brighton, Minnesota
- Lincoln, New Hampshire
- Midway, Utah
- Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
All of these locations are within driving distance from popular vacation spots in each area, making it easy to add an excursion to an Ice Castles location into overarching vacation itineraries.
Each castle is unique and constantly evolving. The daily process of creating and maintaining one castle consists of growing up to 12,000 icicles that are individually sculpted into existing ice formations. All locations are approximately one acre in size and include LED light installations and music. You’ll also be able to enjoy one-of-a-kind mazes, special events and even the occasional ice slide.
Last year, TPG contributor Buddy Smith and his family visited the Dillon, CO, location. During the day, it’s like walking through an ice fortress (not entirely unlike the one you see Elsa create in “Frozen”). But at night, it’s an entirely different vibe with the mesmerizing light shows contrasting against the snow, ice and dark night sky. Suddenly, it looks like you’re transformed into a magical wonderland.
Because Ice Castles locations are, of course, in wintry areas, days and hours of operation will vary based on the weather. Tickets can be bought online in advance, and also vary by location. General admission tickets (ages 12+) are typically anywhere from $12 to $20 per person. Kids (4-11) get a discounted price. You can also reserve standby tickets that are not prepaid, but they are more expensive and do not guarantee you entry into the attractions.
While official opening dates are not yet posted for the winter 2019-2020 season, you can check out the Ice Castles Instagram for a sneak peek of what the team has planned for each location. You can also sign up for alerts on the company’s website for more information on when each location will open to the public.
View this post on Instagram
It’s the final day to reserve your Ice Castles tickets early. Tickets won’t go back on sale until we are opening for the season. Jump on it today! Our presale sale ends at midnight. Reserve yours on our website. (LINK IN BIO) ????: @thecompass.rose #icecastles #winterwonderland #winterfun #jumpforjoy
A post shared by Ice Castles (@icecastles_) on
Whether your family is obsessed with Frozen or you just love seeing the beautiful craftsmanship of handmade ice sculptures, these Ice Castles locations are a great addition to any trip itinerary. If you live close by any of their locations or are planning on traveling to nearby destinations during the winter season, I highly suggest making a day (or evening) exploring these beautiful installations.
Featured image courtesy of Ice Castles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees