Hyatt Improves Elite Suite and Club Upgrade Expiration Policy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As a benefit of earning elite status, World of Hyatt issues upgrade certificates to frequent guests. Top-tier Globalist members earn four confirmed suite upgrades, called Complimentary Suite Upgrade Awards, and Explorists earn four Club Lounge access certificates once they reach that elite level. For both types of awards, each certificate will cover a stay of up to seven nights.
One aspect of the upgrade program has irked some members, however. In the past, certificates have been valid for one year from the date they’re issued — they expire 365 days after issuance, rather than at the end of the elite year. That essentially means that elites have been penalized for meeting the requirements of each tier earlier in the year — if you earned Globalist status on June 1, 2018, your upgrades would expire on June 1, 2019.
Hyatt’s just announced a change for the better here. Beginning this year, upgrade certificates will expire on the same date elite status ends — if you earn Globalist or Explorist status in 2018, your upgrades won’t expire until February 29, 2020.
The expiration policy will also change for lifetime elites. Per Hyatt:
“Upon achieving Lifetime Globalist status, members will receive four suite upgrade awards valid through the remainder of that year plus 14 months. Annually, Lifetime Globalists will receive four suite upgrade awards on or around March 1 valid for the remainder of that year plus 14 months. In addition, Lifetime Globalists who stay 60 qualifying nights or earn 100,000 Base Points in a calendar year will receive four additional suite upgrade awards that are valid for the remainder of the year they are earned plus 14 months.”
If you’ve already earned status this year, you should see this change reflected in your account as of Friday.
While this certainly seems like a sensible change, it’s likely that Hyatt’s feeling some heat from the Marriott/SPG merger. I only have one qualifying Hyatt night in 2018, for example, and given Marriott’s far broader reach — more than 6,500 hotels worldwide, compared with Hyatt’s 700+ — many road warriors are surely focusing their efforts on earning Marriott status, instead.
Featured image of Park Hyatt St. Kitts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees